No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Registered Design No. 555817.  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Re: Stuart Registered Design No. 555817.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 10:59:33 AM »
Here are the photos of my Stuart bowl and plate, sorry for the delay, they have been packed away since the auction.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »
hi - glad you got them out of storage eventually, and thanks for posting.                The long life of this bowl shape is remarkable  -  I don't know if there have been other facory shapes that are known to have been produced for what was likely to have been such a long time.
Bernard's earlier comment that the factory protected the bowl shape only so that they could use diverse decoration, was indeed a clever move.
I don't remember now whether we ever discovered when Registration 555817 expired, it doesn't seem to be showing on the Kew Registration page.

I believe that Waterford Wedgwood purchased and closed Stuart around 1995  -  whether this shape was still being made up to that date, or whether it had ceased as an 'out of fashion' item long before then, perhaps someone else might know.
Although Waterford dug Luxton out of retirement around 2000 to re-hash some of his earler designs from the 1960's, I can't think that 555817 would have been seen as suitable for the C21.
But what makes these bowls is, of course, the decoration - and they really are beautiful and skillfully made pieces for showing.

You don't say what the Rd. No. is for the plate??? - although from what you have said earlier, I get the impression that the plate might not carry a No.

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
There isn't a Rd. number on the plate Paul, just on the bowl. 

I wonder if the fact that mine only has the Rd number and not the Stuart stamp means that it is one of the earlier production, before 1924?

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
I'd think that very unlikely.          The form of decoration on our versions of 555817 - a kind of fruit salad of raspberries etc.  - would, in my humble opinion, put them firmly post 1960 manufacture - and I don't get the impression that they were that popular even then.         
As for the inclusion of marks etc., Stuart pieces can be found with name plus Rd. No.  -  just the name  -   just the Rd. No.  - and of course (although on balance less commonly) without either name or No.   

If you look for example at Miller's reproductions of Stuart designs, Charles Hajdamach, the Hayhurst & Benson booklet and some of the cut designs in Stennett Willson's books, you'll see that with very few exceptions - i.e.  the Woodchester Fern, the odd grape and vine and rarely one or two fish plus the odd seagull  -  it was heavy geometric cutting that dominated in the pre 1940-50 period FOR GENERAL GLASS PRODUCTION  - not the realistic wheel engraved fruit decoration such as ours. 
I'm well aware of the very animated decoration on the enamelled wares, and some of the Dame Laura Knight type of haute couture designs, but they were much in the minority, and anyway we're speaking here of proper cut designs only.

So I think these fruit decorated pieces are definitely much later.             I've attached pic of another of these oval shaped bowls, this time without any fruit, and this has Rd. No. 555817 scratched with diamond point, at one end inside a mitre.      Off the cuff I'd have thought this rather straightforward geometic pattern might pre-date the raspeberries etc., but really am only guessing.

here is a link to selection of early Stuart catalogue pages, provided by bOBA (Robert) showing the heavy geometric cutting............      http://picasaweb.google.com/RobertLBJ/StuartsCrystalGlassGlassCutterMrCorfieldSPatternDrawingsEtcC19171921?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3c9dnFp-bSIA&feat=directlink

and some much more recent pages of designs which I believe were provided by Ross - although drinking glasses seem to pre-dominate here, although there are some bigger pieces toward the end..........
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=938

It's possible that Nigel Benson has copies of original Stuart catalogues and he might be able to suggest a more accurate date for our versions of 555817, with the fruit etc., but I'd be very surprised it they did pre-date the early 1960's

Stuart seemed quite keen on this oval shape - sometimes you find a similar bowl with inner shelf profile, but with vastly less decoration and occaisonally they are seen with the 'S' for Stonier somewhere near the base.               I have a feeling that the oval shape was not uncommon in the Georgian/Regency period  -  I've one or two bases of similar desing, although I don't have the lids that may well have accompanied them.   

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:17:41 PM »
Thank you for the detailed reply Paul, that is very interesting.  I had no idea they would have continued producing the shape for so long, but it is very pretty so I can see why they did.  I love the detail on it, they have even put thorns on the blackberry stems :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
If you look at the Andy McConnell edited version of Miller's '20th Century Glass', you'll see the comment about Stuart's 'Beaconsfield' pattern (Rd. 17298) which was apparently produced from 1907 until at least 1975 - perhaps that holds the record for longest surviving design.

Another pic attached ;) - showing a large dish/platter, without Rd. No. and just the word Stuart, with wheel engraved fruit which includes some more raspberries  -  obviously a popular fruit with someone in the design room. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand