No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Little and Large - Mdina Style  (Read 5362 times)

Offline jimbo1

• Members
Little and Large - Mdina Style
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:21:34 PM »
Hi All,

I have found a couple of early?? Mdina pieces over the last few weeks and was wondering what years these were made, one is a massive (16") stoppered bottle and one is a small (4") side stripe. Hopefully these are Harris period.

The stripe on the side stripe is amethyst with a halo effect of clear glass and the stoppered bottle is sandy coloured.

http://i40.tinypic.com/kn69u.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2afcpk9.jpg

James

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Little and Large - Mdina Style
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
Both are really good examples, personally I would go crazy for the sidestripe vase. The sidestripe will likely be 1969 or 1970, the small button rim, purple stripes and small size push me in that direction. The bottle and stopper may well be around 1970 - 1972 though there is a chance they were made a year or two later (but I doubt it).

A photo of the small vase in daylight against a white background (a piece of paper works fine) would be appreciated.

Very nice!

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
Both are Harris period - well done!
I have two of these massive bottles (I call them "sweetie jars" - they remind me of the bottles you see in old-fashioned sweetie shops!)

They're not that common - the pattern is called "Rosenthal". Does it have a rounded out and polished pontil mark?
They are sometimes seen in blue with the yellow streak and mottling.

And I'm madly jealous of your side-stripe - I know of the one in the book with coloured side stripes - and John has one, and I don't. Yours is the third I know of.
It also has a button rim and a lovely streak of iridesence.

I would be all upset if I hadn't found something so wonderful at the National that nothing can burst my bubble!  :smg:

edited to add......

If I hadn't written such a long and informative reply I'd have posted before John -  >:D

You do already have a coloured stripe don't you, John? hmmmm? If this one's up for grabs, I want it!  :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
Thanks both,

Will try and get a better photo in the morning of the side stripe - if there's any sun tomorrow!!

The bottle has a polished pontil with the small tight mdina script as well as a small label with a number in pen. The weird thing about the bottle is that the stopper does not fit that well, if you turn it slightly it seats OK but it does wobble a bit. I'm sure its the correct stopper it matches perfect.

James

PS - What did you find at the national, I missed it this time.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:18:27 PM »
The stopper is fine, they were a bit rough and ready.

I bought a Mdina charger at the National (photos when and if the sun ever shines here again), Sue bought something exceptional but I am not going to steal her thunder....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
Small tight script????? This is getting bettter and better!

Piccie please! It might be MH's writing!

The stoppers in/on both my bottles wobble madly and have to be put in certain positions only - and I can't swap them over either - which is a real shame, as they would both LOOK better with the other's stopper - just the way the patterning goes.

I got a fabulous and seriously complicated early (1967) piece by Sam Herman. Number 107.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »
I've had a couple of chargers, one was really nice in amethyst about 15" across with loads of silver streaks but sold it because I could not display it well. Wherever I put it it just did not look right. I also had a small one similar in colour to the bottle above but sold it because of the same reason.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
Exceedingly nice, I did wonder where it had gone, although above my budget. Glad it went to a good home.

Must be a very early RCA piece, as I understand Sam became head of the glass department that year and was only invited to the RCA in 66.

I gather the piece came from an auction in Germany.

Stunning item.
 ;)

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »
I have added a couple of pictures, one with the Mdina script on the bottle and also a picture of the side stripe with strong light behind showing the coloured stripe. Hope they work as I'm not the best photographer.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 10:29:59 PM »
James, I'm always a little unsure about attributing the Mdina scripting, however, my thoughts are that it is probably more likely to be Dobson.

Good to get a few other thoughts on this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand