No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Little and Large - Mdina Style  (Read 5349 times)

Offline jimbo1

• Members
Re: Little and Large - Mdina Style
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »
Thanks for the comment Greg, I'm the same with you when it comes to signatures. My thought's on the Harris/Dobson signatures is why would Dobson sign anything, as far as I'm aware he was the business manager from an accounting background. Michael was the operational/production man. Why would he sign pieces.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but it has all-way's puzzled me. :ooh:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »
That's Dobson's writing.  :thup:
At Mdina it was a very "all hands on deck" approach to getting things done.
The business was incredibly successful, they had trouble keeping enough stock on the shelves in the shop.
Everybody did a bit of everything they could. Dobson, while officially the "business partner" also designed and signed pieces. Tiger is his design. I suspect the cube vases are too, although I have no confirmation of that.
If nobody was available to finish off bases beautifully or to mark things, it just didn't get done.
And marking things was never a priority anyway.
I also believe that the horse head things, (which I used to believe were a Said design) are a Boffo design - this is info. Wolfie has just brought back from Malta and a long interview he had with Joseph Said.  :chky:

Were you at the National, Greg! I missed you!
When I saw this Sam, it was blow my budget - I couldn't NOT afford it - the agony of living without it would have been overwhelming.

But now i'm in agony wondering about an AMETHYST charger with tons of iridesence - I've never seen one, and I want it!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
Its a stunning item Sue, looks even better in the hand.

I'm sure your recognise the attached picture, its a shot of the back of Steve's business card, the image speaks volumes, no wonder he decided to use it on his card.  I went back to have another look at it, later in the day and he said it had been sold. I'm pleased its gone to a good home, I do love the texture and feel of the piece, it screams early studio glass and Herman. It was only a last minute decision to go the National, been renovating the house lately so its been taking up all my time and cash.

As for the amethyst charger its probably best not to dwell on to long!  ;)

:)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »
Sue, I hope you (and James) agree and aren't offended, but I think a moderator should 'pull out' your posts about the Sam Herman piece and make it into a separate thread!  It's far too historically important a piece to risk the information about it getting 'lost' in James's Mdina thread - also important in the field of Mdina study  :thup:  but IMHO just not quite as news-worthy as the Sam Herman piece!  :sun: 
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
Steve gave me his partner's card instead of his own one Greg - but I was well aware of the historical importance of the piece - I'm so thrilled with it on every level imaginable, I was actually dancing at the fair while I was showing it to friends - I couldn't stop myself!

I do intend to make a thread about it Leni  :-[ - my pics did come out quite well - I just couldn't help shoving it in while Greg was here - it's the only Sam I have which is up to his standard of Sam-bits.

I'm still all over the place with excitement about this and everybody else's wonderful and exciting bits! :ooh:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »
I would be delighted to add a few pics to go with your piece Sue, would be nice if they were all contained in one thread together.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »
It's done - but if we're having a Sam-fest perhaps I should change the title!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 01:41:16 PM »
Good point! alternatively I don't know if its easier to start a new thread altogether.....?

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
Ignore my last post Sue, just spotted the new thread.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
It was good to meet James and his wife on Sunday at Event City but a shame that the pix of the Mdina we discussed have vanished. It would be good if you could add them again by using the board's attach via a reply  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand