No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano ???? SIZE matters ????  (Read 1212 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Murano ???? SIZE matters ????
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
 :hi:

Just got this today.....and I would say Size Matters  :24: :24:

This fruit bowl ? (or bowl) is 16.25 inches across, and about 2.75 inches high.  I took it weight and it is almost 8 pounds of glass!!  I am pretty sure this is Murano, but then I have not seen this shape, size, or pattern before --- so I best check here first.

There a fleck/flakes of gold (aventurine) in it as well as swirls.  Also bubbles in it, and then the smallest amount of like a pale blue (or Grey) around each bubble.  The bottom does show wear, and there is a polished pontil scar............plus another small pontil scar (not like that other one).  I am assuming by its weigh that the glass blower might have needed additional hands to hold this item as even for me it weighs a ton for a bowl, and it MASSIVE in size.  I attached a pic with the phone in it to help show the size of it.

So Murano?  Kinda a flower petal design??              If Murano any idea of Age, maker, pattern name, or style.....

I think it is Murano?? .....and have a Funny feeling it might be Fratelli Toso, as I always seem to find their work. ;)

Thanks for any info... :kissy:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano ???? SIZE matters ????
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:54 AM »
Nice bowl, Rose. Yes, it is Murano. It looks like the work of Fratelli Toso to me. I'm interested in what the others have to say, because I am not absolutely sure.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:40:41 AM »
Nice bowl, Rose. Yes, it is Murano. It looks like the work of Fratelli Toso to me. I'm interested in what the others have to say, because I am not absolutely sure.

Thanks TxSilver!

That is what I was thinking that it just feels Fratelli Toso.  Here are some other pics to show the swirls, bubbles and the pale blue or gray in it.  If that helps for any other info.

It kinda reminds me some of the Spider Web bowl I posted (or called it in the Post title??) of mine (even though the design there is different from other Murano Spider Web bowls found).   So not sure of the correct definition for that one ... but We were leaning on that  might be Fratelli Toso too.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40422.0.html

Any thoughts?  Thanks  :kissy:

** Added, been digging around here:

Found this one here, the bowl shape is different but the design kinda looks the same.  Click on all the images for bigger view there:

http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/1191/fratelli-toso-1950s-murano-3piece-smoking-set

Found an 8 sided bowl (but much, much smaller - half the size) in the shape kind of flower shape -- but different pattern on the inside:

http://www.stylehive.com/bookmark/mid-20th-century-murano-glass-microbial-bowl-bigashtraycom-1027102

Best I can do so far...   :pb:

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »
It made me think instantly of Fratelli Toso too, particularly the way the edge of the bowl is formed, if you know what I mean?  Nice design, haven't seen one quite like it before!

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:08 AM »
Now now antiquerose, you will give all us guys with smaller bowls an inferiority complex... :-[

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:44:50 AM »
Now now antiquerose, you will give all us guys with smaller bowls an inferiority complex... :-[

ROFLMAO  :24: :24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand