No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request on a black boat - ID = Bagley "The Hull Coggy"  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request on a black boat - ID = Bagley "The Hull Coggy"
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
I was reminded of this piece yesterday when I picked up what I thought was a Victorian celery.      However, it wasn't and had the word Avon on the base.    From memory, most, if not all Avon pieces I've seen - and I've seen a lot - have the word Avon somewhere on them.   Some look very convincing.   This piece is unmarked - does have some wear on the base, and may well be a genuine period article, especially as I thought it seemed to represent an older style of boat  -  quite deep, clinker built, and that up-turned prow/front.    Of course it may well still be an Avon piece - or may perhaps be continental.    I've looked thru both Slack and Lattimore without seeing it, plus Jenny Thompson (although don't think it is C19 anyway).    Seems to be opaque (no purple when held up to bright light) - and is about 5"/130mm long.      Wud be interested in anyone's ideas on possible age and country of origin - and thanks for looking. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request on a black boat
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
I've been browsing the Bagley book, and surely this has to be the 'coggy' boat posy vase (Bagley design No. 3198) - and don't know how I've not been aware of it previously.    The length is correct at 5", and whilst the book makes no mention that this was offered in black, I see no reason why not since this factory manufactured other items with a shiny black surface decoration and called it 'Jetique'.    Confirmation required please. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
Looks like you are right. The book doesn't mention colours but Jetique was the right period.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
thanks - and quite amazing considering that on average I look through the book once or twice a week, and still didn't spot the connection. :)

Offline glasswipe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »
Hi, The little boat is called The Hull Coggy and it was made by Bagley. I am lucky enough to own it in green. This boat could be found on the river Hull and there is a wonderful story about the coggys written by Nellie Gale called "from tug to tug"  it's on the Knottingley and ferrybridge online site. I do hope you will be able to find this site off google.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »
thanks for your interesting additions to my knowedge about this little 'coggy' boat, and I will investigate your link, via google, as soon as I have my desk top PC facility again.    At the moment my PC has gone down the Styx as Dirk would say, and is unusable, completely, so I'm sitting here balancing this horrible little laptop on my knees, and I find it a very difficult piece of kit to use in comparison with a desk top, and the absence of a mouse slows matters down considerably   This laptop seemed not to recognize my user name and password, and I've spent hours trying to remember the details, so I' suitably hacked off and very irritable.   ughhhhhhhh.

However............I seem to recall that the Parsons and Angela Bowey made the comment in their book that they had seen only one example of this boat   -  so I guess that with my one and now yours we have a total of three, so perhaps this is a very rare item, and valuable. ;)       All I need to find now is the Koala Bear vase or a Kookaburra Wall Lamp, and I'll be fine!!        I'm assuming you have a copy of the Bagley book, but am not sure.
thanks again, and grateful for your enlightenment, and Happy Christmas to all.     

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »
The link to the Hull coggy article...

http://www.knottingley.org/letters/memories/memories_nelliegale01.htm

Read this one Paul if you ever wondered how the Bagley 'pink' was made.

http://www.knottingley.org/letters/memories/memories_ftaylor01.htm

The site link...

http://www.knottingley.org/letters/memories.htm

Chris

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 05:29:18 AM »
Paul — I've had two coggy boats through my hands, both frosted green.

Chris — The Fred Taylor memories, collected by the great Richard van Riel, are a fascinating insight into glassmaking.   There's a lot of information in there if you're prepared to tease it out.

The most obvious gem relates to flower blocks.   The Davidson dome patents make it clear that making them was a two stage process, and, to me, it was obvious that the second stage was mould blown.   But I've never worked out how, and always had assumed that compressed air was used.   Fred Taylor's memories show that it was steam, not compressed air.   So obvious really, once you know!   ... and I posted on the GMB about the use of steam in glassmaking only two weeks ago here;D

Thanks for that delightful Christmas present.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 11:46:18 PM »
Bernard I remember Richard being the curator at Pontefract museum, not much interest in the glass of that period, more to do with the memories for me being brought up in the area. I worked in the coal mines and had friends who worked at Lumb's (later United Glass) in Castleford, Jacksons which I think was previously Bagley? and later Rockware and Greggs which I think is still going under it's own steam.
Paul sorry if you feel my ramblings have hijacked your thread.

Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:09:20 AM »
Bernard - many thanks for your interesting contribution, most of which I was unaware of :)   

Chris - fear not:  any factual information, or reminiscences that adds to people's pleasure and enjoyment here must be welcomed.      I'm a great fan of nostalgia and ramblings myself ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand