No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: lovely Monart vase but what about the price??  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: lovely Monart vase but what about the price??
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »
It is a bit high for an insurance valuation. I would probably value at around $500 for insurance, $250 for selling. But then there is also a market for very high priced items, certain 1%s would be happy to pay such prices as it adds to the exclusivity. In general Monart fetches extremely low prices in the US because the market is so small there. Most of the sellers that do not ship abroad end up selling for less then it would achieve elsewhere... the buyers probably being European based organising a US friend to bid for them. I imported a lot of Monart from US & Canada in the 1980s. Parkington bought nearly all of his PY paperweights and also dozens of pieces of Monart from the US. The weights were not cheap but the glassware was. Plate 166 was bought by Parkington on my behalf... but when it arrived he fell in love with it and would not hand-over  :huh: I got a lousy lizard in compensation.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Plate 166 was bought by Parkington on my behalf... but when it arrived he fell in love with it and would not hand-over :huh: I got a lousy lizard in compensation.
But Frank, PY Lizard (or Salamander) weights are much rarer than his snakes and worth more too - in both the US and UK. But then I suppose your disappointment was in the days long before I got into Ysart weights and when many PY weights could be bought for about £50. :)
KevinH

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 12:35:20 AM »
It is a bit high for an insurance valuation. I would probably value at around $500 for insurance, $250 for selling. But then there is also a market for very high priced items, certain 1%s would be happy to pay such prices as it adds to the exclusivity. In general Monart fetches extremely low prices in the US because the market is so small there. Most of the sellers that do not ship abroad end up selling for less then it would achieve elsewhere... the buyers probably being European based organising a US friend to bid for them. I imported a lot of Monart from US & Canada in the 1980s. Parkington bought nearly all of his PY paperweights and also dozens of pieces of Monart from the US. The weights were not cheap but the glassware was. Plate 166 was bought by Parkington on my behalf... but when it arrived he fell in love with it and would not hand-over  :huh: I got a lousy lizard in compensation.
Frank your pricing is spot on for the vase i would say, but i know theres folk out there that would buy a way too high priced piece before they would an identical low priced piece, mad
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 12:47:43 AM »
ohhhhhhhh i see the price has been changed, its coming down a bit, but still a long way to go :smg:

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »
hahahah on xmas day this vase was now down to £230ish which was getting more in the ball park, but now as soon as someones shown a bit of interest in the vase (see questions on listing) the seller has put it up over £300 again, lol,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand