No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sam Herman:- A National Treasure  (Read 5653 times)

Offline MHJ02

• Members
Re: Sam Herman:- A National Treasure
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
I've just loooked at the 2 web pages - wow, I liked this one and that one and that one too - in fact there wasn't one I didn't like!!!!    Just wish my pocket was large as well ;D ;D

It's not Alan but Adam A, I think - I'm a complete nerd where names are concerned, the little grey cells seem to have dropped off!!!    And some of the glass at the Glass Fair was Adam's!!   Someone put me out my misery.!!!!!!!

Mary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:49:40 AM »
 :clap:
Adam makes more sense than an Alan, Mary - and yes, his work is really lovely and absolutely fascinating! 
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 11:32:16 PM »
I just got my brochure for the 50th Glass Arts Society conference in Toledo Ohio in June and noticed Sam Herman is mentioned as one of the participants in a panel discussion on "World Influences". Lucio Bubacco, Bertil valien and others are on the same panel.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 08:54:24 PM »
Tom, I just saw your post on the Labino thread and remembered you saying you had this conference brochure.  Are you going?  Is there a 'buzz' around studio glass in the States at the moment given the anniversary this year?

m

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Yes, I'm going have all my reservations made including a tour of Pilkington Float glass plant and a tour of Libbey's plant.
There appears to be a lot of the old timers that are going to be there so I'm going. Even a bunch of the oldtimers doing demos one night, Fritz Dreaisbach, Henry Halem, Audrey Handler, Peiser, Lipofsky, Michael Taylor and others. Others giving lectures, etc. are Paul Stankard, Herb babcock, Hank Adams, Klaus Moje, Jack Schmidt, Bertil valien, Richard Marquis, Mark mathews, Luci Bubacco, and many others. Toots Zinsky, Carlie parriott, Joel Philip Myers, Sam herman, Ruth King will be involved in some panel discussions.
I doubt that many of these will be seen at anything like this again. We're all getting old. They have advised that some seating for some events may be limited though. First come, first served basis. 
Are you going?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »
oh ... I would 'love' to be going but unfortunately that will never happen  ;D - I'm in the UK and a visit to the States is unlikely in the foreseeable future lol.  But I would love to hear feedback on the event though if you have time to report in afterwards.
Have a great time.  I recognise some of the names you mention but many others, not...so now I have something else to research and hopefully more wonderful glass to see  :)
Thanks
m

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 01:40:40 AM »
Before I get to the GAS conference in June, I'll be coming to the UK about May 3. Taking a boat from Miami (celebrity Eclipse) that ends up at Southhampton that has a hot glass studio on it. The we have tickets to see The Wizard of Oz in London and then on to see friends up near Milton Keynes. Passing up the glass locales this time. Was over to see all the stuff around STOURBRIDGE and the Broadfield House again a few years ago. I was to the Glasshouse back in the mid 70's. If I can afford it anyone can. Remember I'm just a starving old glassblower. Selling off much of the old glass collection to make the most of travel while I still can.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 06:34:17 AM »
Tom — Note that the twice yearly National Glass Fair is on Sunday May 6 in Birmingham.   It would be a shame to miss this world class event and you would be made most welcome.

As you are staying near Milton Keynes, two other items.

1. If you visit Stony Stratford, don't miss the Cock Hotel, the world's most famous coaching inn, and source of "A Cock and Bull Story" and, possibly, "Ride a Cock Horse".   Great bar snacks.   While you are there, please take a look at the lampshades in reception.   I would very much like to know how they were made.

2. I live about 200 yards from the Cock Hotel in Stony Stratford, and would be delighted to welcome you and show you around.   I can't show you much in the way of studio glass at home as I deal in vintage British factory glass, but it's here if you want to see any.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
Bernard: thanks for the info and invite. I mentioned it to my wife and she says she knows the "Cock & Bull" She worked in Milton Keynes in the mid 70's for about 3 years. She was an asst. architect on the city center project. We will be staying a couple of nights with friends in Wolverton May 5&6. She lived in numerous places around the area while she worked there. Send me a PM with your phone # and we can ring you up when we get there and maybe find a convenient time to meet up. my e-mail is (removed to prevent spam harvesting) or my website is www.fuhrmanglass.com and it has all my info.
Tom

Mod: Tom, I've removed your email address from your post so it won't be harvested by spam bots. You have the option enabled for folks to email you via the board here (by clicking the wee envelope icon below your name), so Bernard can reach you that way.   8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand