No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: probable Stuart bowl.  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
probable Stuart bowl.
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
Assuming it is Stuart, the company name is absent from the back stamp, as is partly to be expected from a piece first registered on 16th January 1917 (if it was actually made around that date).       The first five digits which read 65916 are fairly clear, and the Blue Book gives the sixth digit as a 4 - thus providing confirmation that this is probably from Stuart.    Of course, it isn't possible to say when the bowl was made, but do people think that a heavy/largish script such as this might indicate a fairly early date of manufacture?
Not the more attractive 'apple green' used on the Stratford design, or the brighter green used on the much earlier art nouveau pieces - more of a bottle green I guess - does anyone know if this colour had a name? or even if the bowl shape has a name perhaps - I've not seen Stuart in this livery previously.    Has a really long ding when flicked, and diameter is about 10.25"/260mm,
I've looked in Hajdamach/Miller's/Brit. Glass Between the Wars/Jackson, but haven't been aware of seeing this shape.    Thanks for looking :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: probable Stuart bowl.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
I doubt you will find this shape published - other than possibly in a private publication by Gulliver, which is scarce and relatively expensive  ;)

The colour bears reference to Stuart's Arts & Crafts glass rather than the later Stratford wares, hence the hue of green. To date neither the colour nor the bowl have a name.

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »
thanks Nigel  -  quite possibly a more obscure design from what you are suggesting, and maybe not in production for as long as some of Stuart's more popular designs.     If nothing else it would be interesting to know for how long this particular pattern was offered by Stuart  -  I see the odd piece of Stratford, but am sure I've not seen this colour previously. :)   

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
I wouldn't be so quick to make conclusions from little information. Actually a green used by Stuarts for some 50 years ;) :) From the 1880's on......

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
o.k. I stand corrected :)  -  they must have kept it well hidden from me ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »
Paul, do you still have this bowl please?
is there any chance of taking a photo with the rim angled and set in the same way as this one please?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191045000501
Thank you  :) if you have time.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
hello m...         although I part with much glass back to the charity shops, I tend to keep all material from Stuart and T/Webb  -  so pleased to say I still have this one.           I don't recall seeing this green since I acquired the bowl, so would imagine it's fairly uncommon, at least in the places I visit.
If the attached pix still don't give you the exact angle you need, or the background needs a different colour, do let me know and I'll take some more.

Sorry I didn't pick up on your request yesterday re the Patent No. enquiry,  but from reading Christine's replies it appears you may have most of the answers you wanted.           If you have any questions that you know for certain can be resolved by The National Archives, do let me know and I will look for you on my next visit to Kew. :) 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »
thank you Paul :) That's lovely.. I think yours is a more 'flattened' out version of the one I'm looking at but the 10 crimp rim is a feature.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
Just cross referencing this other thread regarding a green bowl with peacock eye style dab tails.
I'm not sure it's the same green, but the applied foot, and the photograph of the base reminded me of your bowl
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26447.msg145360.html#msg145360
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
thanks  -  you saw Nigel's response commenting that this colour was related the Stuart's Arts & Crafts period.              Although Nigel also suggests this darker green was used for a lengthy period of time, it's scarcity - when compared to the factory's later (lighter) green - is probably due to the the considerable lapse of time since.
I think there is a very good chance these two pieces are intended to be the same colour, originally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand