No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identify this glass walking cat  (Read 2033 times)

Offline penny

• Members
Please help identify this glass walking cat
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
My family had this glass walking cat on their mantle in Jindrichuv Hradec in Czechoslovakia.  It is located south of Prague.  The cat was left behind during World War II.  The grainy photo I am attaching is a picture of the cat with a shadow.  My mother remembers that it had a slight blueish color it.   My understanding is that it had more of a light blue hue.  My Grandmother never forgave herself for not taking this item with them when they escaped.  My they did survive the war and that is what is important.  We have no idea who made this or of its origin.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I believe the photo was taken around 1937 or so.  Thank Again!

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Please help identify this glass walking cat
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:23:48 AM »
Hello Penny,  welcome to the board.
Well you certainly have started us off with a tricky one to help you with.....however, the dating and country placing may well help. 
Glass animals are my 'thing', so I shall get my teeth into this one and see what I can come up with.
It looks like it may be a hand made 'hot worked' piece of art glass, rather than a mass produced pressed glass piece,  so that makes it a little more difficult, as no two will ever be identical, but there are others here on the board who live in and around that part of the world, so although you may not get an instant reply,  we may well come up with an answer eventually.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline penny

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
Thank you so much!  It means a lot to my mother and her sister! 

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
If Czechoslovakian piece that possibly work of Jaroslav Brychta v Zelezny Brod. He was father of Czechoslovakian glass figures. Here is book about him, the next one I have scanned and I will place it to y web shortly.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/JBrychtaMBVolfZiveSklo?authkey=Gv1sRgCLDExe7vh4rhwAE#

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
Here is the next book, text there is also in German and English

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/JaroslavBrychta1963?authkey=Gv1sRgCIbk1JOlkcbL9AE#

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
Your cat is not Brychta but much more traditional. Bychta only started to develop his style in the 20s and follows a clear evolutionary path that broke completely away from this traditional style. So your cat could have been made in Bohemia, Germany or even Italy. I would guess 20s or 30s. Pity that it is lost in time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand