No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: lid and bowl a marriage?  (Read 6044 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
lid and bowl a marriage?
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »
doesnt look right to me, lid look way too small for bowl, also slight colour difference to me, thoughts please???, i have contacted seller but have never had a reply, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-SCOTTISH-GLASS-MONART-POWDER-BOWL-AND-LID-/120814742389?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item1c211eab75
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: lid and bowl a marriage?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
Just another observation on the powder bowl Gary, the only powder bowl in the Monart catalogues that is similar is the PB shape which does not have an applied foot unlike the one on ebay that does
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:22:48 PM »
It is OB which does have the foot. I agree from the pics on eBay that the lid looks a little small and colour different - but that could just the photos, we all now the odds of making any marriage in Monart but not impossible!

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
It is OB which does have the foot. I agree from the pics on eBay that the lid looks a little small and colour different - but that could just the photos, we all now the odds of making any marriage in Monart but not impossible!
the diameter and height is wat too small for def

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »
I am still not sure it is shape OB, the OB is more elongated round the middle. Gary

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
A recent marriage is impossible.   This is a top rated general ebay seller.   Where's he or she going to store all the odds and ends for his or her stock, just in case?   I keep a good stock of British plinths and flower blocks and holders, as these often go walkabout, and, packed carefully, they take up 20 or 21 blue plastic greengrocer trays — a big space in my little home.   ... and how would he or she finance this warehouse full of bits and pieces, and heat it, and pay council tax on it, and pay for the security?

I can't even envisage an original retailer marriage as economically viable.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »
A recent marriage is impossible.   This is a top rated general ebay seller.   Where's he or she going to store all the odds and ends for his or her stock, just in case?   I keep a good stock of British plinths and flower blocks and holders, as these often go walkabout, and, packed carefully, they take up 20 or 21 blue plastic greengrocer trays — a big space in my little home.   ... and how would he or she finance this warehouse full of bits and pieces, and heat it, and pay council tax on it, and pay for the security?

I can't even envisage an original retailer marriage as economically viable.

Bernard C.  8)
firstly i would like it to be known that i am not suggesting nor did i suggest anywhere in my original post that the seller has put these two pieces together to deceive nor did i dispute their reputation as a top rated ebay seller, as for them not having room to store , heat and pay council tax for i really dont see what any of that has to do with the post i started, the saying adding arms and legs comes into mind, this is starting to get blown out of proportion and well off the track , he or she may well have bought this piece like this unknowingly, it may be the case that it came from the factory like this after a mix up ect, around 6 years ago i bought a powder bowl minus lid with the hope one day i would come across another bowl that had a good lid and damaged body, within two years thats excactly what i did, lucky without a doubt,  as for impossible well i wouldnt say that as i have done it and if i can do it then so can others, i started this thread to ask for others opinions on something i did not think was correct as it should be not start a war, accuse anyone of wrong doing  or put anyone down ,  :bsh:

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
...   thoughts please???,   ...

millarart — you asked for thoughts — those were my thoughts and, I believed, and still believe, worth adding to this discussion.   Much like Frank's only more detailed.   That's all.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
A recent marriage is impossible.

A sweeping statement indeed.....which I'm afraid I have to disagree with  :o  Not impossible, unlikely, maybe ;)

There are all sorts of possibilities that come to mind, some of which have already been covered. However, as for the question posed by Gary (millarart), even if it is a marriage, it ain't a bad match, so might be forgivable.

It is difficult to tell from the photos how good the fit is, although I do admit the lid does look a little small on the diameter against that of the base it fits into........, but, it still could be original  ;) ::)

Nigel

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »
If I may add my tuppence worth to this thread, I saw a powder bowl remarkably similar to this at the Ingliston Fair before last. I initially thought nothing untoward about it as it looked as it should. However on handling the item it was apparent that the lid was of a diameter for a powder bowl a size smaller,there being a gap of probably 5-6mm all round between lid and body. The lid was also of a slightly different shade of green to the body and being smaller sat down lower. I had a look at my own powder bowl of the same shape/colour. and it was obvious that my thoughts were correct I have attached two views to show

" Blessed are the Peacemakers" Nigel

:angel:
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand