No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Millefiori goblet - maker?  (Read 6824 times)

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: Millefiori goblet - maker?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
How about John Deacons or Peter McDougall?

I agree the canes look "Scottish"
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 07:37:03 PM »
... I thought that Caithness made the Edinburgh Crystal weights to begin with, before the contract went to Murano? So there may be no such thing as Edinburgh Crystal canes...but perhaps one of the Scottish glass experts could confirm or correct this?

Correct: the 1985/86 Edinburgh Crystal weights were made at Caithness - later they imported from Murano.
Unless there are any Edinburgh millefiori weights around, of which I never have heard, there will be no "Edinburgh canes".
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
Hi

Peter had a lot of Stuart Strathearn canes and one or two Perthshire !!!

Has anyone approached Peter about this Glass

Roy

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 01:03:55 AM »
In my opinion, none of the canes are Murano. And I don't think the piece was made outside of Scotland.

Many (or was it all???) of the canes used in the Caithness-made weights for Edinburgh Crystal were pulled by John Deacons who was contracted by Caithness to produce them. And those same canes can also be seen in a variety of John's own work. And they also look broadly similar to some original Whitefriars canes. The very "coggy" canes in two rows in the bowl are rather like those. But I do not believe that the goblet has anything to do with Edinburgh Crystal or Caithness - or even Whitefriars.

The canes in the foot that have the eight alternating canes are of a style often found in Perthshire Paperweights items and also Strathearn Glass pieces from around the 1970s. I have no idea which company first began to use that style but there are a lot of those canes around, from both companies - and in a wide range of colourways and central elements, including central crosses. Also they both used canes with individual elements using a 20-rib outer "cog", such as the in the central cane bottom right of Alan's photo of the foot.

My guess is that the glass was out of Perthshire Paperweights - but I would not be too surprised if it turned out to be by somebody else who had access to that range of canes.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »

I asked Peter McDougall whether he had any ideas about the goblet, and this was his very helpful reply:

This does look like early Perthshire Canes. If it was made at Perthshire it would have been made by John Irvine, his skill in making this kind of piece especially with a blown foot was exceptional and he did make a few individual goblets like this. If it is by John Irvine it could be quite rare, the bell shaped top was his style. Sorry I can't be more certain. Nevertheless a great Goblet.

So it looks like it is a Perthshire piece after all.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »
A nice investigative research... Well done DCI Thornton  :hiclp:

SophieB

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 09:17:18 PM »
... But what do I know....

Ne'er a truer word was said in jest.  ;D

John Irvine is not on my radar screen so anything you can find out about him will be of great interest

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 09:07:42 PM »

Hi Frank.

According to Dave Moir, John Irvine worked at Perthshire, and Edinburgh Crystal, and also for John Deacons - but I am afraid I did not get any dates to go with that.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 01:16:58 AM »
just thought ..if you put the goblet on it side and look at the stem, that's the perthshire emblem in the twist
cheers Ray

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 06:50:09 AM »

Interesting thought, Ray.

It actually has the wrong chirality (ie is twisted the wrong way), but that could have been an error when trying to reproduce the emblem.

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand