No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Rosenthal Dish - Shape Info..?  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Mdina Rosenthal Dish - Shape Info..?
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »
Hi All,

Recently purchased this Mdina Rosenthal dish produced in 1974. I found the shape interesting as its not one I have come across before.

The shape is not completely circular or either tricorn shaped...? Wondered if there was a specific name for this shape..?

Fairly shallow, measuring 2 inches high and around 9 inches width.

Many thanks
Greg

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina Rosenthal Dish - Shape Info..?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
There is no name that I know of for that shape and strictly speaking it is not the Rosenthal pattern either, Rosenthal being more wibbly wobbly rather than a series of spirals. It likely developed from Rosenthal but I have not seen the pattern on anything definitely from MH's time at Mdina.

John

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the info John, much appreciated. Interesting to know that the pattern is likely to have evolved from Rosenthal. This particular piece is signed by Joseph Said and dated 1974. Do you have an idea of how long this particular pattern was produced for...? I presume Rosenthal in the earlier form was phased out when this later design was introduced.

Thanks
Greg
 :sun:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
I would guess they were made only for a few years as we don't see that many of them. I have seen 'bullet' shaped bowls like this one: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/LaterMdinaGlass#5429986630319159682
and shallower and wider 'dishes' like yours. Suzy has a bowl in this pattern which is quite big. I have not seen a vase yet though....

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »
oh yes you have, John!  :thud:
You photographed my Beaked vase - one suspected very strongly to be by Boffo.
I'm not the only one to have memorly lapses - whew!  :hug:

I've got a plate like this too - and I'm not sure if it's not just a bit casually wonky or deliberately wonky in shape.

There are images of this pattern (in bullet bowls) in the '75 book on studio glass by Stennet-Willson, which also features Tortoiseshell attenuated bottles from IoWSG.

Thanks to Wolfie,  :rah: we now know that Vicente Boffo stayed on at Mdina until around '77.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
Doh! Completely forgot about that one Sue, it is quite big too isn't it?

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »
Doh from me now!  :-[
Yes, it's a whacking just over 11" tall. A lot bigger than the standard sizes made at Wfs by the Boffos.
Ray Annenberg very kindly provided images of the Wfs records which prove that the Boffos made beaked vases, and the dates they were made, and even which chair was used!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand