No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Ysart Bros weight?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Large Ysart Bros weight?
« on: November 24, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »
Hi,

This weight finished a few days ago. The colours are quite striking (not to mention the size) and I am puzzled as to who made it: is it a Salvador Ysart or Ysart Bros? Something else?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160680684498?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1204

I would be interested in people's opinion.

SophieB

PS: it is not mine. I am just curious.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Large Ysart Bros weight?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 12:46:44 AM »
I was one of those who did not bid enough to win it!

Fascinating item, if a little on the unattractive side and having elements of imperfection in the way the outer canes and twists are set. It is of about the same diameter as the base section of some of the Ysart bottles, both Salvador types and Paul types.

Although super magnum Ysart weights (over 4 inch) are more well known as being by Paul Ysart I have seen a couple (one 4.5 inch and another almost 5 inch!) that were clearly Ysart Brothers or earlier in terms of working and canes.

My view is that the eBay weight was the work of Salvador Ysart. I would like to have won the auction in order to check it out thoroughly but it was not one that I felt "will be mine at any cost"!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the answer. I was intrigued by it but not would have bid. I thought the weight well made and of course unusually large, hence my question. And I was surprised by the colours (the combination of which I find seriously unattractive but that's just me...).

SophieB

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »
Hi Sophie and Kev

I too favour the Ysart Brothers line rather than Paul

The vivid orange in this weight looks like the orange that Ysart Brothers made from ground up Vitrolite tiles when colour was in
VERY short supply as was cash. Ysart Brothers used whatever they could lay their hands on.

Paul on the other hand stayed at Moncrieffs after WWII and I am not aware that he had any need to resort to these measures.

Kev - you don't mention the base -  difficult to tell from the picture but the area outside the pontil scar appears to have been
ground down in a similar way to Vasart.  Is this also typical of Salvador?

Best regards

Derek

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:21:07 AM »
The base photo does not show the detail needed to determine how it has actually been finsihed. Is the "ground" area all grinding or is it at least partly age wear? Is the central area a simple, single cracking off scar or is there more to it than that? Are there any "cutting in marks" visible in or around the "ground" area? Is the base flat, indented or raised in the middle?

Too may queries to make any guesses.

As for the orange ... there were many variations in the shade of orange seen in finished Ysart items and there was also variation in how "smooth" or "crunchy" the grounds were. I suspect that much of the reason was a difficulty in maintaining a "standard" orange colour as it was apparently quite hard to control when being worked.

Different shades and textures of "Ysart orange" could be a good collecting area for somebody. ;D
KevinH

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Hi Kev,

This 'fascinating' collecting area should really be up your street as I am sure you have quite a lot of material already (me, I do not even own one single Ysart - Paul, Salvador or Ysart Bros - orange ground weight  :cry:). I look forward to a PCC  article presenting your findings  >:D.

SophieB

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »
But I only have eight ... not enough ... probably needs at least twenty to start doing something on those lines. ;D
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand