No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scotland's Glass  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Scotland's Glass
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »
Our database is to big for shared host and the site got suspended yesterday by hosting company!  :cry: They put it back on-line after I took the Glass Images section off-line.  :o

Quite apart from needing to near double in size to accomodate all the paperweight images prepared we still have lots more glassware to go in... a pile of Strathearn and the CG glassware to add, Edinburgh Cystal to add, lots of studio work to add.

Please see the announcement on the front page for ways you can help, thank you.

http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Scotland's Glass
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:28:49 PM »
Sue mentioned this in another thread, so I just thought I'd bump it for maximum exposure and so it doesn't get lost down the list of threads.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »
I am hunting for the right hosting options, with help from Anne. But it has gotten extremely complicated marketplace to determine the 'right' solution, not to mention trying to work out how much they are actually charging... then if they are likely to be an improvement on existing service or sufficiently reliable. The solution has to house scotlands glass, colinterris.co.uk glass-study.org  and others probably, shortly thereafter.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:42 PM »
Hosting is resolved.... but lots of bells and whistles that have to be rung and blown as with all the power comes a whole new level of technical geekery and words that do not seem to mean what you think they ought to  ::) ... feels like it is way over my head but hopefully I will be able to find the right combinations of buttons and get the sites up and running soon....

One advantage is that this new hosting can be upgraded if more power is needed... just throw more money at it  :24:

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »
Where is the new Scotland's Glass located Frank?

Carolyn

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
In dreams at the moment  :srn:

...once everything is up and running it will be at the same address as usual. Still uploading files at the moment, which is an over 24 hour job on its own.

Fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong, and that it also runs faster than it had been!

3 sites are being moved glass-study.org, colinterris.co.uk and scotlandsglass.co.uk

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:28:59 PM »
Frank, it's scary just thinking about how much needs to be moved over (bearing in mind I couldn't cope when the format of this site changed briefly today  ;D) , never mind having to actually do the work on it  :thud:
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 11:50:20 PM »
www.ColinTerris.co.uk
www.Glass-Study.org and Glass bibliography http://glass-study.org/biblio/index.php

are all working...

Still sorting out teething problems with e-mail for the GSA. All of Scotland Glass files are in place and I just need to do configure and transfer the database...

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »
Numbers

Scotlands Glass glass images as 12,000 plus unique images (about 5000 items) and 8000 thumbnails.

The three sites total 40,000 files and 2 Gigabytes of space!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 12:27:13 AM »
 not sure what a gigabyte is and when you said 'space', the image that immediately popped into my head was satellites and the moon  ;D
but...I do understand numbers  :o
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand