No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass website Indexed and improved (I hope)  (Read 6384 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Glass website Indexed and improved (I hope)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 06:16:43 PM »
Kev - thanks again for your suggestion - I've done it! I couldn't use perfect radio buttons as they simply didn't fit properly, so I made my own and gave each entry a live link.

My thanks again to Kev and Frank, and everyone who has kindly commented. Your help is gratefully appreciated.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 06:57:47 PM »
It's looking really good Glen after all your hard work. Much easier to find things now. Just one thought - your 'radio' buttons work fine, but if it was possible to use a 'live ' bullet' point from symbol or something similar in a large size, they might look like buttons.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 07:08:27 PM »
Christine - yes, absolutely, and that was what I tried to do. But I have a geocities website (I am not a web-designer or anything even remotely clever) and that has some limitations.

I can use "buttons" that look like buttons - but when they are placed alongside the text within the frame they float - and they do not show on the finished page in the correct place. The only way I could get a link that worked given my limitations, was to use some form of type/letter/symbol. That gives further problems, because some symbols do not show up the same on computers around the world (I know, as I have used the Copyright symbol that appears fine on my computer, but a friend in the US sees it as an entirely different symbol.

So - I experimented with a variety of numbers, symbols etc. And the combination I finally used seemed to work (and look) the best in the circumstances.

I guess I will never please everybody. So in the end I just have to do the best within my capabilities and give everyone the opportunity to access as much information as possible, as easily as possible.

Glen

BTW adding those buttons and links since yesterday has taken up around 8 hours of my time, so I'm not in a hurry to alter anything. My apologies to anyone who has any difficulty using my website.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 07:23:08 PM »
Hi Glen,
I have to admit that yesterday, the first thing I did was try to click on a pattern name etc. That is just the lazy person in me.  :wink:
I have revisited your site after seeing your post.
It is now extremely easy to navigate, so don't apologise. My memory is not the best,  :oops: so just being able to click on a link, without having to remember where it was I was going to, is just wonderful.
I for sure, and I am sure others too, really appreciate all the hard work involved :!:
Thank you.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 10:04:15 PM »
lacking words. Glen - big value to/for all of us!
 :D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 02:27:10 PM »
Pamela - thank you. And to use a colloquialism..."right back at you" (in other words - my compliments to you on your site, which is of great value to all of us).

Della - thanks again for road-testing it.

Christine - yes, I agree with all you say. I just wish I could have done it better. I tried, believe me I tried.  :oops:

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand