No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a ysart weight? ID = Murano  (Read 3073 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
is this a ysart weight? ID = Murano
« on: March 06, 2006, 10:10:04 PM »
measures just over 3" across, the canes are set on a translucent ground of gold/copper aventurine with a flat polished base, I've seen the middle star cane in pauls work in the book  "Paperweights from Great Britain"  on page 20 and 21, one is in the bouquet flower weight and the other in the concentric millefiori weight, the other cane's i can not match as yet, a nice green glow under UV light

click thumbnail

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
is this a ysart weight
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 12:00:18 AM »
Not Ysart ... Murano.

The central cane does have the same basic structure and colour as some seen in Paul Ysart pieces, although the PY version tends to have shorter arms in the star and the ends are more rounded. This type of simple cane can be found in many weights from many places around the world.

The copper aventurine, and the way it is set, is very typical of Murano work. As far as I know, this was never used in this way in any Ysart items. And the setting of the canes is also a feature of many Murano pieces, with even less evenness than in some Vasart weights!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
is this a ysart weight
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 10:40:31 PM »
No, like Kevin said, it's poor Murano workmanship.

Please note, this very rude-sounding reply was in answer to a post which has been removed by the moderator, not to the original question  :oops:  :roll:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
is this a ysart weight
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:28:35 PM »
just hoping :D , in egypt at the mo, i've seen a very nice piece of WMF but i've never seen the glass technique, will let you know if i get it

by the way it's very hot here :twisted:
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand