No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Former Paul Ysart Apprentice  (Read 3978 times)

Offline sue13

• Members
Former Paul Ysart Apprentice
« on: March 04, 2006, 03:41:05 PM »
David Hurry, who was an apprentice with Paul Ysart at Harland in the 1970's, has recently set up his own web site. www.vidaglass.no is its address.  David has lived and worked in the glassmaking profession in Norway since leaving Harland when Paul retired. He has his own glassworks in Moss near Jeloy. David makes paperweights using the various techniques he learnt whilst working with Paul, but also produces many other exquisite glass items such as plates, bowls, vases and wine glasses etc. He was recently approached by the Paperweight Collectors Circle in the UK, they have invited him over to Cambridge in September to show them his weights, and also to talk to them about his time with Paul. Unfortunately, the site is in Norwegian, but will shortly have a translation to english. I have a few of his weights, and also several pieces of his other work, if anyone is interested in any aspect of Davids work, or would like to see pictures of his work, please contact me at any time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »
Hi Sue,

Great to hear from you. Particularly for the opportunity to fill some gaps in the story.

My only entry on the site for David are:

David Hurry    19?? – ??    Apprentice Paperweight maker to Paul Ysart at Paul Ysart Glass Ltd until c1979 when he left suddenly.

It would be nice to hear a fuller story and resolve the dates. Why did he leave etc. There will be a lot of interest in hearing how his career started and has progressed, especially good to hear he stayed in glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sue13

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:26:43 PM »
Hi Frank,
David joined Paul at Harland in 1975. He married a Norwegian girl in 1979, and later that same year they decided to move to Norway to live. That is why he left, although it was not at all sudden. David heard a few weeks later that Paul had decided to retire. This surprised him, as that had not been his plan when David left.
David worked at the Hadeland glassworks in Jevnaker for over 20 years, becoming a master glassblower. He then had a short spell with the glassworks in Gjovik, before starting up his own company  " ViDa Glass " 3 years ago in the town of Moss near Jeloy.
I hope this information is of help to you, and if you have any other questions please get in touch. I am Davids sister, and all these dates have been verified with David himself.
Many thanks for your interest.
Regards, Sue

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:55:07 PM »
Brilliant, thank you.

I am sure our visitors would love to hear some of David's memories of Paul... working conditions etcetera.

It would be nice to see some of his paperweights, I could see some dots on a shelf on the website. I would be happy to add a page to the site with a short history and examples of his work. With of course a link to his site and any contact information.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 11:46:41 PM »
And ...

David is the scheduled guest speaker at the Paperweight Collector Circle meeting on 16th September. The PCC Diary page has been updated accrodingly.

Personally, I am already looking forward to that meeting. :D
KevinH

Offline sue13

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 09:40:43 AM »
Hi Frank,
thank you for your very kind offer, I'm sure David would be delighted. I will be in touch with him shortly, and will try and send some pics along with a short history. In the meantime if anyone has any questions for David, please ask, and I will try and answer them.

Regards, Sue

P.S. Would I send pics, history etc to you directly?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 11:27:33 AM »
Yes please Sue, email is via the button at the bottom of this message.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand