Author Topic: Pair of Sarah Peterson Sculptures  (Read 936 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
Pair of Sarah Peterson Sculptures
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
Picked these up from a fair, more because they caught my eye than anything else. The seller told me they're by Sarah Peterson, but they're unsigned. Google coughs up a few paperweights with similar style sensibilities... but nothing overtly the same.

They're solid freeform shapes with a spiral of controlled bubbles inside, as well as a floating three-dimensional 'shell' of opal glass. On the verso surface is embedded a mix of thin sheets and rods, powdered enamel, and granular lumps of coloured glass.

Tallest is 25cm, smaller is 23cm.

Are the Sarah Peterson, and - if so - do they have a name?

Thanks for looking.

(http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/pinkspoons/1b-119.jpg)
(http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/pinkspoons/2b-102.jpg)
(http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/pinkspoons/3b-92.jpg)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Pair of Sarah Peterson Sculptures
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:51 PM »
Sarah Peterson works for Caithness  :huh:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
These look as if they belong more with the same sort of ranges and period as the "free-form" limited edition pieces produced for a short while, fairly recently, Nic.
I'm sure jakgene showed a "Cyclone" vase (amongst others), from this "free-form" sets of things fairly recently.

It's the complexity as well as the style of bubbles included that makes me think this. They do look very "Sarah Petersen" - I have no problems with this attribution, though I'm no ex-spurt on this.

And yes, Caithness, Christine, thanks, I forgot to mention that!

I see Frank's "Glass Images" are currently unavailable online, due to lack of funds to support the site.  :thud:
I shall have to do a bit of organising to arrange it, but will be contributing something shortly. :thup:
It's an incredible resource.

Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 05:59:31 PM »
Thanks for the look-in. I neglected to mention Caithness in my post - but I already knew she worked for them.  :-[

The Caithness site and Frank's Scotland's Glass site were my first port of call after a bit of Googling when I got home with them, but I couldn't find anything from the same series.

The seller mentioned that she also worked for Dartington and Poole pottery for a while, but I couldn't find any mention of this online.

:huh:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »
Just re-read my above post - I meant couldn't find any link to Poole online, not Dartington.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
The seller mentioned that she (Sarah Peterson) also worked for Dartington and Poole pottery for a while, ...

I have never heard about Poole pottery - but she certainly worked for Dartington, 2004 - 2007, when Dartington took over Caithness.

I haven't found your exact items in my catalogues, but the ones below are certainly close relatives.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »
Oh, actually, they look to be exactly the same as mine (barring height difference and the fact that mine are a little more sparse of decor). Even down to the floating opal 'shell'.

:thup:

What year is the catalogue for?

Seems I'm missing two lightboxes for them... which is fine, because they make them look a bit tacky (imho). They look great enough with natural daylight behind them (also imho).

Edit: Had a closer look at the catalogue - you might be right about them just being close relatives... mine are a lot more free and easy with the colour combinations too. Add to that the size and the less cluttered decor.... Hmm...

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »
The catalogue was from 2008 - but the numbering (U07...) indicates they were issued in 2007. This means, issued in the year Dartington took Caithness over and Sarah Peterson came back to Caithness. As I haven't seen your sculptures in later catalogues, they could be studies (done at Dartington?) leading to Forest Flame - with a fair chance they were not combined a priori with a light box (which I'm not too fond of either).

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
Thanks for the information.

Do you know if the Caithness production models would have been signed? (I'm not too familiar with their output)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »
Do you know if the Caithness production models would have been signed?

They usually are, at least more recently. In the early years you'll find many (unlimited) with just a label (limited editions would carry at least the numbers); also later unsigned ones are around - either because it may have been felt obstructive (for some designs) or just missed - but these are the exception.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com