No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of Sarah Peterson Sculptures  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Pair of Sarah Peterson Sculptures
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
Picked these up from a fair, more because they caught my eye than anything else. The seller told me they're by Sarah Peterson, but they're unsigned. Google coughs up a few paperweights with similar style sensibilities... but nothing overtly the same.

They're solid freeform shapes with a spiral of controlled bubbles inside, as well as a floating three-dimensional 'shell' of opal glass. On the verso surface is embedded a mix of thin sheets and rods, powdered enamel, and granular lumps of coloured glass.

Tallest is 25cm, smaller is 23cm.

Are the Sarah Peterson, and - if so - do they have a name?

Thanks for looking.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Pair of Sarah Peterson Sculptures
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:51 PM »
Sarah Peterson works for Caithness  :huh:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
These look as if they belong more with the same sort of ranges and period as the "free-form" limited edition pieces produced for a short while, fairly recently, Nic.
I'm sure jakgene showed a "Cyclone" vase (amongst others), from this "free-form" sets of things fairly recently.

It's the complexity as well as the style of bubbles included that makes me think this. They do look very "Sarah Petersen" - I have no problems with this attribution, though I'm no ex-spurt on this.

And yes, Caithness, Christine, thanks, I forgot to mention that!

I see Frank's "Glass Images" are currently unavailable online, due to lack of funds to support the site.  :thud:
I shall have to do a bit of organising to arrange it, but will be contributing something shortly. :thup:
It's an incredible resource.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 05:59:31 PM »
Thanks for the look-in. I neglected to mention Caithness in my post - but I already knew she worked for them.  :-[

The Caithness site and Frank's Scotland's Glass site were my first port of call after a bit of Googling when I got home with them, but I couldn't find anything from the same series.

The seller mentioned that she also worked for Dartington and Poole pottery for a while, but I couldn't find any mention of this online.

:huh:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »
Just re-read my above post - I meant couldn't find any link to Poole online, not Dartington.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
The seller mentioned that she (Sarah Peterson) also worked for Dartington and Poole pottery for a while, ...

I have never heard about Poole pottery - but she certainly worked for Dartington, 2004 - 2007, when Dartington took over Caithness.

I haven't found your exact items in my catalogues, but the ones below are certainly close relatives.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »
Oh, actually, they look to be exactly the same as mine (barring height difference and the fact that mine are a little more sparse of decor). Even down to the floating opal 'shell'.

:thup:

What year is the catalogue for?

Seems I'm missing two lightboxes for them... which is fine, because they make them look a bit tacky (imho). They look great enough with natural daylight behind them (also imho).

Edit: Had a closer look at the catalogue - you might be right about them just being close relatives... mine are a lot more free and easy with the colour combinations too. Add to that the size and the less cluttered decor.... Hmm...

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »
The catalogue was from 2008 - but the numbering (U07...) indicates they were issued in 2007. This means, issued in the year Dartington took Caithness over and Sarah Peterson came back to Caithness. As I haven't seen your sculptures in later catalogues, they could be studies (done at Dartington?) leading to Forest Flame - with a fair chance they were not combined a priori with a light box (which I'm not too fond of either).

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
Thanks for the information.

Do you know if the Caithness production models would have been signed? (I'm not too familiar with their output)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »
Do you know if the Caithness production models would have been signed?

They usually are, at least more recently. In the early years you'll find many (unlimited) with just a label (limited editions would carry at least the numbers); also later unsigned ones are around - either because it may have been felt obstructive (for some designs) or just missed - but these are the exception.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand