No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of Sarah Peterson Sculptures  (Read 4799 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Pair of Sarah Peterson Sculptures
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
 :hi:
Ummm - I have two large pieces from the Free-form, limited edition range - chargers which are not marked at all.
I believe they are probably seconds. (Found in charity shops)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
Oh dear. I wonder if mine are seconds... although I can't see anything awry with them, but it could go towards explaining the differences from the production models.

I think I preferred 'early prototype'.  :24:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
There was a fairly big discussion of the "ways, means and ends" of the whole "seconds" thing with Caithness, just recently.

I believe is is suspected that some bits were even marked as seconds just to shift them quickly at the shop-end of Caithness - they were also remarkably fussy - it can be very hard to find any minor flaw in many official "seconds" too.

>:D It could even be a way of getting around the "limited edition" numbers.......

I think your things are wonderful, and definitely Sarah Peterson.

Currently, I believe she is a major "tour-de-force" - almost keeping Caithness alive single-handedly (according to a major fan of hers, the engraver Bruce Walker, with whom I had a lovely discussion during the summer.)

Given the differences between yours and the "final production" model, I think "prototype" is likely to be accurate. Bruce told me that she works very hard to ensure that all her designs can be made to production standards by all the makers who are currently in action.

Perhaps yours are one she made, but when it came to production, the other makers couldn't quite manage her standard in the allocated time they have to produce each one, so the design had to be made smaller and simpler?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 12:00:27 AM »
Sure they aren't Cynthia P Caster?

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »
Think the 'unselected' on the label is misleading, leading some to describe them has limited editions or trial pieces and others maybe construing this to mean they are seconds and removing the labels?. I bought this Bolero piece from the dancer series by Sarah Peterson the seller claiming the unselected label meant it had never gone into production Lol
Also seen quite a few this year with the label removed with all sorts  of fanciful theories has to the maker.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-by88tRQmWe0/Tjz1xRnHBFI/AAAAAAAAQAo/QFhYUdBK9f8/s912/SDC15368.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9ICm5I75Sv8/Tjz3oCYiMrI/AAAAAAAAQBU/JPYsrmKvAvQ/s640/SDC15369.JPG
Another paperweight here probably by Sarah too same label.....
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nPcJYoC9A9A/TljsVE-_a7I/AAAAAAAARjg/RH9bGgTn698/s640/SDC15668.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M97VaOPhJ-Q/TljsitMoZ5I/AAAAAAAARjw/hA5eoWd1vV8/s640/SDC15671.JPG
Maybe yours had the same label and someone removed them thinking they were seconds? just a theory Nic but why put 'unselected' on the label anyway and what does it actually mean?

Chris

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »
"Unselected" (label) means it is a second. Now - the previous discussion has already mentioned, that seconds (for Caithness) are not always seconds in the most obvious meaning
- second quality, i.e. not quite coming up to standards. Could also be
- a weight which never made it into production ("unselected" would even make sense here). But it also has been suggested that
- first quality weights were marked seconds when "cheaper" weights for the Studio Shop were needed. I'm not convinced about that last, however.

Apart from the ambiguity, I don't consider these "unselected" labels a good idea - they "fall off" too easily >:D.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »
I believe is is suspected that some bits were even marked as seconds just to shift them quickly at the shop-end of Caithness - they were also remarkably fussy - it can be very hard to find any minor flaw in many official "seconds" too.

Oh, it was the same when I bought a lot of Danish glass - some items were marked seconds for no discernable reason, even when placed next to a 'first' of the same design. After getting a couple of house-clearance joblots of it from Denmark, I did wonder if it was a way of friends and family of the glassmaker being able to naughtily get first quality glass for a reduced price from the factory shop. Somewhat less risky than just shoving it up your jumper on the way out!

Maybe yours had the same label and someone removed them thinking they were seconds? just a theory Nic but why put 'unselected' on the label anyway and what does it actually mean?
From what the Google-pixies tell me, 'unselected' seems to denote a second produced during a period when it was deemed unnecessary to mark them properly. I think the general concensus on here is that they're too different to be just seconds.... but never say never!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »
Sure they aren't Cynthia P Caster?

I'd be very worried about the model... and their partners.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »
From what the Google-pixies tell me, 'unselected' seems to denote a second produced during a period when it was deemed unnecessary to mark them properly. I think the general concensus on here is that they're too different to be just seconds.... but never say never!

Well - even "general consensus" might be wrong! If I have to decide what Google-pixies and a (former) Caithness worker tell me (on Glass-Forums, where they don't let me in any more), I trust the Caithness worker: "..., the unselected sticker means that it was a second quality piece, but it doesn't mean a reject as unlimited designs do still get weights destroyed if the standard is too low for sale even as a second." (plus the other possibilities mentioned in my previous posting)
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 01:24:59 PM »
(on Glass-Forums, where they don't let me in any more)
The 'banned from Glass-Forums' list is a long one!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand