No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made me?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline LotsaStuff

• Members
Who made me?
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:16 PM »
Yet another estate find! Does anyone have any idea who made it? The brown swirls have sparkles in them. There is no marking on it, so I'm stumped. It's approximately 3" across give or take.

PS Sorry about the fingerprints!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Who made me?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
I reckon that glass is a wondrous thing for playing tricks with the eyes - but I reckon I can see letters at the 8 o'clock position of the second picture - seems to me they start with a K and the name would be something like Keegan or Keyes.  I have rotated and modified brightness, etc. so the "name" is now above the pontil mark.

RE photographs of very patterned objects to try an see signatures.  There are various methods including smearing the base with talc, for instance, which will fill the grooves and remain behind as a white signature.  Or taking the picture form a very shallow angle so the light bounces off the glass but any grooves appear dark - very useful for strongly patterned items as the pattern is effectively negated.  I have also include a couple of pictures to illustrate the latter of a Kosta Boda Vase I own.  Finally it is best to make the pictures as large as possible - so old eyes like mine have a better chance of seeing clues.  Your limts are 124.9Mb for the picture size, and up to 999 for the length & width.  Any larger will be refused.  Typically that equates to around 999 x 400 or 700 x 700 as dimensions but it varies depending on the range of colours and complexity of the object.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:56:07 AM »
How on earth did you spot that!?
Nancy

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:11:48 AM »
 :sun: Would you believe, natural talent!   :-[  Nah!  I thought not.

What I do often is copy the photo into my Pictures folder and have a play - in this case I blew it up to double the size.  I then noticed some "letter-like" marks at 8 o'clock so I fiddled with brightness & contrast a bit nd lo and behold a K showed up.  I then rotated it to the top so if there were a word I would be more likely to spot actual letters.  All I use is Microsoft Office Picture Manager which came with Microsoft Office as part of the pack.

Ross

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:29:20 AM »
Sorry "LotsaStuff" that should read you are limited to 124.9Kb for picture size.  The other thing to look at is to learn to "crop" your photos so the area of interest is highlighted.(see three photos from the same original)

GMB Original = resized from a 2.42MB to 120KB
GMB DSC_0084 cropped to show the whole base and then resized from c. 400KB to 123 KB
Vase Signed cropped to show just the signature = 69.7KB

Ross

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »
I have had a couple of pieces by Gunnel Sahlin one was a vey nice bowl the other a small vase , thats the first weight i have seen .

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »
It is actually the bottom of a vase with three felt scratch preventers.

Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand