No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peter Tysoe attenuated bottle  (Read 1284 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Peter Tysoe attenuated bottle
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
Another bargain picked up at Newark. A Peter Tysoe attenuated bottle, 27.5cm tall, with his trademark colouration. Circular label.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Peter Tysoe attenuated bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:45:59 AM »
Great find. The colouration is similar to my "Aussie" Peter Tysoe bottle, which I know you have seen:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,60279.msg340219.html#msg340219

Does the label on yours indicate that it dates from before Peter's time in Australia?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
It doesn't, so I have emailed him but I suspect it was made in the UK. I've never determined whether the labels are significant and I suppose he might have bought them back from Australia, or taken them over with him?

David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:36:20 PM »
Peter replied:

"Your tall bottle is one of a series that we produced in Totnes in the early 80’s. Hope you enjoy it."

Peter will be sending on a brochure of the Ocean, Coral and Pearl ranges that he produced in the 1970s, which he has given me permission to publish for all to see.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • Whitefriars, IoW and Scandi.
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »
That will tie in with my signed piece.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 07:51:48 PM »
Ah, I now have the definitive answer from Peter himself regarding the labels:

Generally, the "individual" pieces are signed, and production works had the sticker - as far as I can remember used from '77 or so to '84. I haven't used stickers since then.

So that's an excellent guide and the signed ones are worth looking out for. Peter employed a few glassblowers, so I expect the labelled ones were 'generally' produced by them.

On another matter, Peter has some 6-page A4-sized leaflets (folds together to A4):

The catalogue was produced for a crafts trade show in Dubai that I attended in the late 70's. The Ocean range was the actual production range; the others were individual pieces, but given the Pearl and Coral names for the Dubai show. I've only made a few pieces since returning, using a local glass concern.

Again, some useful information in helping to identify and date his pieces. He has also offered these catalogues to anyone who is interested - there's a whole box of 'em - and he has given me permission to upload the six pages here, but I need more than the 125KB limit of GMB so perhaps in the Glass Galler (© Peter Tysoe)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand