No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart lightshade  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart lightshade
« on: December 03, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »
An interesting lampshade on ebay at the moment, Perth museum as one of the very same in their collection. The unusual thing about these lightshades is the white inner as most Monart lighting have mostly got a frosted inner finish. A bit odd looking that the Perth museum lampshade has the hanging hooks are on the outside of the shade.
Gary
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_Auction=1&_nkw=monart&_dmpt=UK_Art_Glass

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Monart lightshade
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
The hooks should be on the outside!
They certainly always have been on my Jobling Rose shade - and the week before last, I was working on unrusting hooks and screws on another large pressed glass ceiling plafont which had been put the other way around - it just doesn't work, Gary - and you end up with ugly screws on the outside, rather than the more attractive hooks - which keep the chains at a good distance from the glass - so no problems with rubbing or clinking or huge ugly shadows showing on the shade.

The unrusting was successful  :thup: - several changes of grated onion and its juice  8)  :cry:  8)  and the screws all came undone - then a dab of WD40 to keep the threads clear.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
"The hooks should be on the outside!" Not so Sue, I have two Monart pendant lampshades (S 10) and both have the same type of fittings that attach to the hanging chain. The hook is on the inside with a threaded end and a button shaped nut ( a fancy shaped nut but still a nut) is on the outside.Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
I suppose it could be optional then.  :thup:
I personally prefer to see the hook with its little decorative frill/washer bit on the outside of the shade than the nut, and to have the shade suspended from "inside" the chains. If the chains are inside the shade, you get shadows when it's lit.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
I agree with you Sue that it could be optional, but I believe the Monart design was intended for the hook to be used in the inside of the the Monart pendant lampshades. All Monart pendant lamp shades that I have seen has had the the hooks on the inside which includes three shades on Frank's site.
 http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/PageLighting.htm
Again Sue I agree with you about shadows of the chain showing, But that happens when you use a high wattage bulb, Monart pendant shades were not intend to light up a room but give rather a more subtle mood lighting so a lower wattage (15 watt) was advise to be used. Therefore less of a shadow appeared on the ceiling.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
I'm afraid if it was my lampshade, I'd hang it how I like it hung - and I'd use it for full room lighting with energy saving bulbs. Stuff the designer's intent!

(Michael keeps me in the dark anyway, I'm not allowed real full room lighting - just enough to stop me bumping into furniture too often.
Saving electricity on light keeps his mood on an even keel, even if being in the dark subdues mine. :P )
These sorts of shades do actually hide the horrible bulb - the whole point of a shade in the first place.

The shade you show there has a flat outside rim which is more conducive to putting the chains inside than a simple bowl shape is. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
hooks were on either side sometimes depending on the shape of the shade as with all other ceiling shades/ bowls(fly catchers) out there, with the ones with the hooks on the inside having a fancy nut that went to the outside and with the ones with the hook on the outside  most would  had just a plain square nut as these would not be seen ,  monart pendant shades did not have hooks they had holes for the pendant bulb holder to fit onto
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand