No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: part of advertising item  (Read 4788 times)

Offline JAMES LIVEZEY

• Members
Re: part of advertising item
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
The pen holder looks to be twilight on my monitor. I have the complete sets of pen holders and ashtray pen holders in twilight, ocean green, arctic blue and ruby. I have yet to ever see these products made by Whitefriars for Parker in any other colours than stated. But then I never thought to come across a 10.5" cased green 9620 jug either. So possible but highly unlikely.
ew collector of bubble bud vases.Need information on who,what ,where,& when.Web sites or people to contact for guidance.Collectors clubs of these insignificant little vases.Murano,Kosta,Portugal,etc.

Offline JAMES LIVEZEY

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »
1960 brought forth a colour change at Whitefriars. Introducing ocean green and arctic blue. 1961 Parker pens introduced the model 61 which is the common pen used in the paperweight pen holders and ashtray holders. Previously the model 51 was used and introduced at Parker in 1941. Willow wasn't introduced at Whitefriars until 1965. Oddly though, I have never seen any paper advertisement for Parker Pens using either the paperweight pen holder or ashtray model.
ew collector of bubble bud vases.Need information on who,what ,where,& when.Web sites or people to contact for guidance.Collectors clubs of these insignificant little vases.Murano,Kosta,Portugal,etc.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
hello James, and thanks for your edifying and very interesting information  -  and a big welcome to the GMB by the way. :)       Unfortunately, I don't have access to a piece of willow just now, and twilight is a bit of a new one on me.     Looking again at this round piece I might have taken a guess and said willow  -  somehow it doesn't seem to be what I'd expect twilight to look like, but I'm a bit of an ignoramus on these W/Fs. colours, so will stand corrected by whatever the experts say.      As we all know, colours on the screen are not always faithful to how they look in the flesh.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »
Hi James welcome to the madhouse glad you agree with twylight thats good enough for me , i will sort your sticks out in the morning!!! sorry for the delay but you did say no rush , love to Charlene your old mate John AKA - JP

Offline JAMES LIVEZEY

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 02:14:24 AM »
Hi John, Good to know John, Thank you. Hi Paul, believe me Paul I am far from a expert but more a madman for Whitefriars glass. In describing the colour twilight I say hold it up to the light and it will have a slight muddy brown tinge to it. The colour silver is often confused with twilight but silver to me has a clean hard cold steel look. It also doesn't hurt to cross check the work books, price list and catalogues, because there have been cases where a item and or colour was omitted from one or another. The work books give the best indication as to what was produced for that year.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 08:44:43 AM »
thanks again Chris, your pix are very helpful, and yes, I will go with twilight.                  James' comments about 'slightly muddy brown tinge' do seem to best describe this one.
Many thanks to all for their help.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 11:30:14 AM »
I agree, definitely Twilight (I have one of the pen holders in Twilight, with the fountain pen and one in Ruby with the biro).  But I should point out that, unlike most Whitefriars colours, which are very true to colour and if you get to know them can be used to identify WF items, there are two definitely different version of Twilight!  Here are pictures of an obvious difference in the same vase - a 9364 thick walled vase designed by William Wilson.  As you can see, one is a more greeny version and one a more browny version of Twilight. 

Also, I have observed that the Ruby and the Twilight pen holders were made in a different mould, as the Ruby has the lines of bubbles going up and down, whereas in the Twilight they go round.  I would be interested to know which way the bubbles go in the other colours, James!  (And welcome, by the way!  :kissy: )   
Leni

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »
on reflection, the subject title will be of no use to people doing a search in the future  -  so, grateful if the mods will please change to something like...'Whitefriars Parker Pen Displays', or similar.    thanks :)

Offline JAMES LIVEZEY

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 01:25:22 AM »
 Hi Leni,On my pen holders ruby goes round and round with very small tightly packed bubbles and the other colours go up and down at a angle of say 2 0'clock and not nearly as tight as the ruby. I find it strange that these or the ashtrays were never made in amber. James.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand