No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: part of advertising item  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
part of advertising item
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:17 PM »
most of the older brigade will doubtless recognize this - although it's missing the most significant part (which would give the game away immediately), and which would have sat atop the brass plated cap thingy.       Spherical, and about 3"/75mm high  -  dull brownish/olive colour, with quality ground and polished concave pontil mark, with controlled bubbled decoration; and although bubbles appear to spiral upward, believe in fact they just encircle the object which, incidentally, is hollow.        Bearing in mind, perhaps, the lack of importance given to most advertising ephemera of the mid C20 (at the time), then I guess most examples of this item would have been binned or chucked out long ago  -  I don't recall having seen another.    There is a single word logo and trade mark symbol around the base of the metal cap  -  which will be obvious to those who do recognize the item.
All of which is simply a lead up to the question, which is, in view of the bubbles and pontil mark, was this item made by a well known manufacturer - whose wares are much collected and often in gold/amber - ruby, willow, sapphire and twilight  -  or am I barking up the wrong tree?? ;)          thanks for looking.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: part of advertising item
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
Parker pen holder, innit?

Looks like WF's 'Willow' colour.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »
quite right, of course, and I was fairly sure it was from the W/Fs. stable - but wasn't too sure of which colour it might have been.    It has the word Parker on the metal lid, plus their logo of the oval with bisecting arrow.   I don't know for how long these were produced, but assume it was maybe a little post 1945.            Anyone got the pen please :)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:24:38 AM »
Hi Paul, think the fountain pen is the Parker 51 also in biro form, according to the work books first made in 1960 by Ronnie Wilkinson,
Seen quite a few ruby, arctic blue, ocean green, twilight and amber?  sure they may have been more but cannot recall one in willow.
Also did an ashtray........

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eG5XHZ1uVCg/TdEpLo8-WhI/AAAAAAAALig/lUuKIt7OiMQ/s640/SDC14730.JPG

Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
thanks Chris  -  and am sure you are correct that all this was geared towards their 51 model, which was the iconic and, probably, the most popular Parker.          I've assumed that my 'ball' was an advertising item, but in view of your ashtray looking a lot more practicable and genuinely useful, then maybe mine is a retail item also.     Are you saying that both of these were items that could be purchased simply as desktop sundries for the office executive (nothing to do with advertising at all).       Just a shame that I don't have the pen.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:08:08 PM »
I don't they were advertising items, just branded.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
Pretty sure the general consensus is they were commissioned for Parker for their employees maybe Christmas gifts and maybe also gifts to retailers? and never catalogued? 
On a similar theme they also did lighters and ashtrays for Ronson have you seen one?

http://www.whitefriars.com/bb_orig/viewtopic.php?t=4142&highlight=ronson
Not got a photo of the lighter but here is the ashtray.

http://i45.tinypic.com/fedht3.jpg

Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »
thanks to all for the help. :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »
Hi Paul it may be twylight , but i am not good with colours , i am sure Emmi will know.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
I don't believe I've seen twilight in the flesh - although looking at Leslie Jackson the impression I get is that it lacks the slight greenish brown of willow  -  which is perhaps what you'd expect anyway.          From the book twilight appears to be a shade of charcoalish without any other hue - a kind of slightly pale version of Dartington midnight maybe.

Yes, I'd expect Emmi to have a much better answer, if she can hear us ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand