No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with a Stevens & Williams 'Abbey' Claret Jug  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Help with a Stevens & Williams 'Abbey' Claret Jug
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
Lovely item i found this week , im pretty definite its Stevens and Williams Abbey pattern, it had me confused,
but i think ive found the answer , my local auction house told me it was Victorian, and the top is very nice, and silver plated.
He may be right about the plate, the only mark on it is 286, no hallmarks or makers marks. Maybe someone may know
what the 286 means? I did wonder if it was solid silver, because there is no sign of a base metal coming through anywhere.

I spoke to another dealer, and i think we worked it out. He thought the glass was 50s, and so we came to the conclusion,
its a marriage, with a 19th Century top, and the base , is , as i thought,  1920s/30s Stevens and Williams. Maybe it was just
a decanter ? Someone thought a Peacock finial would suit the multicoloured glass !

I just wondered whether GMB members would agree or have another theory , or have more info on the 286 mark??
Thanks
Andy :D

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Help with a Stevens & Williams 'Abbey' Claret Jug
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »
I nearly bought one very similar a couple of weeks ago,apart from the finial it was identical,the dealer didn't know,I thought the glass looked like Kralik 'crackle',I spoke to Craig and he thought it may have been English,I was hoping that the dealer might still have it at the next fair :X: so S&W might be on the mark.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
there are two pieces listed here as Stevens and Williams abbey that both have silver fittings (Hukin and Heath).
Perhaps this was a range that  lent itself to silver fittings?

http://www.fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/resultsLotDetails.asp?lotsID=54261&menuItemOn=2&salesID=88&hasImage=1

m

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:39:35 AM »
Thanks folks,
looks like Stevens and Williams is a definite!
Ive asked the claretjugcollector to have a quick look and see if he could throw any light on the origin of the top.

Cheers
Andy
 :thup:

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
hi there

nice s & w vase and a nice probaly german plated mounting made 1890/95 - and in my opinion its not a peacock but a capercaillie cock - the number 286 is just a modell name or pattern number .. ! actually the plaster looks old to me .. the german did quite often wine leaves on the mounting and the handle looks german as well or continental .. hope i could help ! by the way : does anybody need some snow ? i have got definitely too much  :ho:

best wishes, tom from sleepy hollow
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
Hi Tom.
many thanks for having a look. You could well be right about the bird, i will have a search for cocks on google,
may have to be careful what to type in though  :24: :24:

Dont need any snow here, had enough last year!

Regards
Andy

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »
 :hi: Thomas did you win the S&W Claret jug that i told you about the coloured one by John Orchard ? i saw it in the flesh twas a
stunner estimate 20 to 40 i believe it went for about a thousand they had no idea what it was . Dohhh no keep your snow .
               HAPPY CHRISTMAS   JP

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
hmm.. can´t remember which one it was - unfortunately i am pretty sure i din´t buy it .. anyway this little baby is hopefully going to to be MY little baby soon ... !

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10408043

and possibly that one .. not sure yet .. !

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/gorringes/catalogue-id-2834248/lot-12838506
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »
Hello Andy,

I saw this very 'claret jug' at the Big Brum recently and decided that it was indeed a marriage of a Continental top with a S&W Abbey ware decanter that had had the top broken off. Although having seen the decanters in the Fieldings link the crackle effect was courser. When you look at the way it is fitted there is a gap between the inside ridge of the plated top and the glass. There was also a small amount of Plaster of Paris on the flange of the metal. The chippng around the top edges of the glass meant that it had not been done to show.

All of this meant that I had to rench myself to leave behind a very interesting piece of glass :cry:

My feeling was that the decanter would have a flared, or everted rim, most likely with a matching ball shaped stopper, or possibly a pointed form. Nice glass, but a tad incongruous with the Continental top IMHO  :o

An interesting find, Nigel

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »
Small world Nigel, i got it at Kempton park antiques market! Theres also a little bend in the top, where it was taken off
its previous base. Im happy with the price i paid. Some of the crevasses in the crackle finish are quite deep!

Regards
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand