No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it really Jobling?  (Read 7026 times)

Offline B & M

• Members
Is it really Jobling?
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:59:37 PM »
Just found this bowl while browsing through ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7396205780

As you can see, the seller claims it to be by Jobling though I don't recognise it and it isn't shown in Baker & Crowe. The bowl does have something of  a Jobling look about it though in the foot and top rim, etc. but somehow doesn't look right to me.

If anyone knows who made it, I would be very interested to hear. In the meantime I will contact the seller and see how he arrived at the attribution.

Thanks

Steven

Offline glasswipe

• Members
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:14:24 PM »
I notice it has "British Make" on the underside,usually this indicates to me that it is indeed by Jobling.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »
thank you glasswipe! another indication is needed on this one then :o
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/02738.html
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:40:35 PM »
Pamela - your butterflies bowl is a well-known Bagley piece, although somewhat scarce.   Pattern No 3003, launched September 2, 1935 with a full page illustrated advertisement in The Pottery Gazette and Glass Trades Review, along with the 3003 table lamp and the 3008 trinket set.

The 3003 lampshade and bowl were from the same mould.   The advertisement shows your bowl as a three-piece flower set with flower block and plinth.

Is there any moulded inscription on the bowl?   It is some years since I have had either the lamp or bowl through my hands, and I cannot remember.

Bernard C.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:42:15 PM »
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/02738.html

Bernard, thank you, my butterfly is marked
BRITISH MAKE
tried to photograph it - see third picture please

I try to understand:
Rod says in his newly edited 'book': it is Sowerby
glasswipe says: 'British Make' is Jobling

As you, Bernard, even supply the pattern# - I shall move it to Bagley soon accordingly  :)

Any objections here from any of you lovely people?  :)  :oops:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline B & M

• Members
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »
This does seem quite confusing, Bagley marked 'British make'?  :?

I don't recall seeing such a mark on Bagley but neither did I take it as being solely used by Jobling.

While I have seen some Jobling patterns marked 'British Make' these were items which were introduced prior to the art glass range. In my experience the fircone, oystershell, etc. bowls which the amber Chrysanthemum bowl most closely resemble are all marked with either a reg. number or 'Regn. Applied For' (with the exception of two unmarked bowls from my collection). This was why I didn't feel it fitted in with the rest of the range somehow. Also, I felt that the rather flat central flower motif didn't look right for Jobling given the strength of their other designs from this period.

Pamela, I can see why some would have thought Sowerby for your bowl  given its passing resemblance to the butterfly trinket set. It is good to finally have a positive attribution for this piece.  I am now wondering whether the amber bowl which started the thread could be Bagley too? I would be interested if anyone can shed any more light on it.

Thanks everyone

Steven  :)

Offline B & M

• Members
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 09:21:49 PM »
Pamela, I just noticed from your third picture of the butterfly bowl, the 'British Make' is shown moulded on the frog. Is the bowl marked as well? I am just wondering in case this is a marriage, Bagley bowl paired with a Jobling frog. It certainly seems a possibility given some of the strange combinations I have seen at fairs over the years!  :D

Certainly the 3 1/2 inch frog which goes with my Jobling 2621 posy http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-919 looks very similar to yours and is marked with 'British Make' and a moulded number 1 to the underside. Perhaps 'British Make' is exclusively Jobling after all?.......  :?

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 09:38:16 PM »
Steven, that's great detective work! I did not realize formerly, but you must be right: the frog is 'British make' and the bowl (as far as I can recall) is not marked (have to verify tomorrow when in my museum)
- must be a marriage then! Thank you and all so much! :D
Pamela

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 10:22:35 PM »
Pamela - there should not have been any difficulty with your bowl, as it is both described and pictured in Bowey, Parsons & Parsons, 2004; fully described in Dodsworth, 1987; and is in my set of photocopies of Bagley illustrated advertisements from The Pottery Gazette and Glass Trades Review.

My response was delayed because I cannot access large images pre-formatted in a web page from home, I can only access large images directly in .jpg format, which allows my browser to re-size them.   Hence I had a quick look at your web page yesterday at college, when I needed a break from learning MS Access.

I noticed then that your flower block is marked "BRITISH MAKE".   That's OK for Bagley, who, from time to time, used all three of "BRITISH MAKE", "BRITISH MADE" and "MADE IN ENGLAND", with "BRITISH GLASS" reserved for clocks, as the clock mechanisms were not British.   Is your bowl marked?   It would be most unusual if it was marked on the inside, as the same mould was used for a lampshade (danger of relief lettering causing hot spots, cracking the glass).   If it is marked it must be on the rim or the outside, although I suspect it is not marked, as Dodsworth would have noted it.

The above was written before seeing the three previous replies.

As for the similarity of the Davidson No. 8 Semi-dome, the Bagley 227 flower block, and the Jobling Flower block, I can't tell the difference with unmarked examples, and I have had many hundreds through my hands.   All it indicates to me is that these complex moulds, with the unusual process involved, were all made by the same mouldmaker, probably either Davidson's mouldmaker or a freelance.

I do not believe the block in your 3003 bowl, Pamela, is a later addition.   That size is quite scarce, and would be difficult to match on colour.

I hope that helps.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline B & M

• Members
Is it really Jobling?
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 11:05:26 PM »
Thanks Bernard. So 'British Make' is OK for Bagley after all. Sorry for confusing the issue Pamela  :oops:

The frog certainly does look correct for the bowl, I was just a little unsure given its obvious similarity to my Jobling examples.

Steven  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand