No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ex A C Hubbard Jr Collection  (Read 3474 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Ex A C Hubbard Jr Collection
« on: December 06, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
HI ,
           Having recently liberated a few glasses from the famous Hubbard 17th and 18th c Glass Collection which was auctioned last week at Bonhams London ,some may be interrested in 1 or 2 ,
         First we have an early airtwist ale glass,c 1740/50 ,for the moment I wont say much about it ,some features of this glass may generate some discussion,I will say that it is English ,full lead and as it was made. Bernard!, you may be interrested in the proportions, Height is 18.8cm or 7  3/8th inches , for those of us whose brains are still steam driven (like mine) , bowl width is 3 1/16th ins or 7.8cm the foot is 3 ins 7.6cm , the foot is quite original at that size for those who still believe that a Georgian drinking glass always has to have a foot wider than it's bowl, this is a good general rule but not hard and fast , as the many folded foot examples i also have with feet smaller than bowls, anyway a lovely glass in my opinion ,

lets hope some find it interresting,
  Cheers ,
             Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Ex A C Hubbard Jr Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
HI ,
          A press release on the sale ,
   http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?int_sec=11&int_new=52193

Cheers ,
             Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
Very interesting Peter - I've not seen one before - particularly not *definitely* that old!
What have you used it for, so far?

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:06:54 PM »
It's lovely Peter. I love the way the bowl echoes the twist.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:15:02 PM »
Peter, it looks like a good sturdy glass to drink from and a beautiful design.  Would you use it?  and a bizarre question, but how much does it weigh please?
Thanks also for the press release - incredible price for the Beilby piece  :thud:
Obviously I have no knowledge of this type of glass.
m

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »
So far it has not been used,but it will be,every glass that comes here is used once at least , some favourites regularly, the weight ? I dint find bizarre at all , and this ones comes in at 235 grams or 8.3 British ounces,(just in case there are some different ones),

Cheers,
      Peter.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:37:13 PM »
As for Peter's glass, well what can we say other than  :mrgreen:, and what a daft question to ask whether he will drink from it - of course he will.
The stem I would describe as MSAT - multiple spiral air twist, and I might suggest the bowl is a wrythen trumpet pattern, and the knop is an inverted baluster shape.  Below the bowl is what appears to be a conjoined merese and collar.         The foot looks conical and I think Peter is saying it is without a fold, but I'm not entirely sure.

So far so good  -  there are acres of examples with air twists on wines, cordials and engraved ales - BUT Nowhere in Bickerton can I find a single glass with this complete combination of characteristics.
There are pieces from the very beginning of the C18 with wrythen decorated bowls - some with and some without flammiform fringes - but these appear to always be on short knopped stems and certainly without any air twist decoration, and nothing like the example here with the tall air twist stem.    These are called short ales or just ales, and are always under 6" in height.
The same sort of bowl decoration appears to have continued well into the mid C18, but it seems they became more miserly, and these later examples are on what are described as rudimentary stems, and again are described as ales.

There are a couple of examples of air twist in Crompton which begin to get a little nearer to Peter's glass, but they don't go all the way, and are in fact described as wines.

Nothing of comparable design in Elville that I can see, and drawn a blank in Ward Lloyd (have you yet spoken to Ward Lloyd, Peter??)

So, it would appear that this combination of the height, air twist and wrythen decoration, is suggesting to Peter that he has something of a rarity, and may well make the process of dating this example more difficult.     Of course I could be just getting carried away with imagination, but it does seem that this is a special piece, and please forgive the fact that despite seeming intelligent on C18 drinking glasses, I'm really very thick, and have just been indulging a bit of sneaky plagiarism, and filching from the aforesaid books :)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Hi ,
           Paul gets the coconut  :hiclp:

The bowl on this glass is the very rare feature , it is not merely wrythened ,which is how it was catalogued(wrongly), it is double gathered,'gadrooned', this along with the flare to the bowl rim is usually associated with late 17thc ale glasses,it is accurately described in the Hubbard collection book written by Ward Lloyd, it is also unrecorded in any other literature and to date appears to be a unique example of air twist with this form of bowl.

I saw Ward a few months ago and will be seeing him again in the New Year,blind as a bat and almost deaf but still loves the feel of a good glass and a good chin wag.

Cheers ,
           Peter

Offline glassgull

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »
Peter,
    Congratulations for the fine stemmed glass acquisition
you made.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »
HI ,
        Thanks to all for the comments ,
 Here is glass N# 2
No surprises with this one, small but perfectly formed i would say, c 1770, a colour twist Firing glass,beautifully made and in pristine condition,Height is 4 1/8th ins (10.5cm)  bowl is 1 11/16ths (4.9cm) thick firing foot is 2 7/16th ins (6.2cm), weight is 162grms or 5.7 oz .

Cheers,
            Peter.

(more to come!!!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand