No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta signed Lindstrand & Bergh Vase, three digit #  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Kosta signed Lindstrand & Bergh Vase, three digit #
« on: March 08, 2006, 12:50:07 AM »
Hi. I'm stumped on this Kosta vase & have run into a wall. Normally I can decode these, however this one totally confuses me. I picked it up at a private estate that had mostly 30's prewar pieces from France, England & the Scandinavian region. It's six sided, everything polished, blown of course, 8 1/2" in height X 5 1/2" diameter, weight is 8 1/2 lbs. It is signed as follows: Kosta L.R. 640 Bergh. Here is what confuses me, I know who Elis Bergh was, however the L. I would think is Lindstrand. I cannot decode the R. which I would thing denotes the type of work. I know the pic isn't the best of the signature, but it's impossible to to get it to turn out because it's a semi-circle & the glare comes into play. Here is my question. Is this Lindstrand's work? What does the R. stand for & why would Bergh be in the signature since he was primarily a designer.  The vase is rather plain, the only work being the engraved Lion. Also what might the era of production be? 30's, 40's, 50's?

Any help decoding this is appreciated as I cannot find any R. designation as to the type of work. Thanks, Ken

http://knicol2.brinkster.net/kostabergh.jpg

Mod: The picture link above is broken. If you own this piece and you still have the photograph, we'd appreciate your contacting the moderators so that we can restore the image to the thread.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 05:55:37 AM »
The initials are not Vicke Lindstrand.
In my opinion, the LR reflects either the glass blower or cutter at Kosta.
Unfortunately, I cannot id these initials.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 07:27:48 PM »
Thanks. So if L.R. is the blower, then Bergh would be the engraver I take it.
Since it's 3 digits is this a 30's piece?

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:40:22 AM »
Bill G: Thought I'd let you know that I was referred to a Kosta historian of sorts, You were correct that L.R. was the engraver, however records were not highly detailed in 1934 the year of production & the Bergh design script signature in full helped date the piece. Thanks, Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand