No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Perthshire Weight...but tell me ALL about myself ??  (Read 2621 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Perthshire Weight...but tell me ALL about myself ??
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:26:14 PM »
 :hi:

This is my first Scotland weigh so I do not know much about them.  I took a chance on it as I did not know what it was worth as compared to what I paid for it -- hope I did ok  :X:   It has a label on the bottom so I know what it is -- but Please tell me everything you can about this weight as I have never owned one before, or even held one in my hands.  So I know nothing.  I have read stuff on here about them, but still I do not know much about them as how you judge them.

So tell me *all* that you can about this item, Please.  Year made, the design, and what one would expect it to be worth since I now bought it and just took a chance on the price I paid.  The owner was selling it for an Estate, and it was them that put the (so-called) value on the bottom of it -- so not sure if that is true on this item as you folks know so much more than me.

So Please tell me all......anything, and everything.  Even the smallest info will help  :kissy:  Thanks

(Forgot to take the size, but smaller than some Murano PW I have here, but will take size later.....)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Perthshire Weight...but tell me ALL about myself ??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »
Factory designation "PP107", made from 1989 to 1996. Always small size and always with a "P" signature in the base. The design is basically the same as one of the variations of the "PP3" weight (most likely based on one of the versions of that desgnation made from 1984).

Info from The Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights, by Mahoney & McClanahan, published 1997

I have no idea about values of PP weights, but this one with the very nice butterfly silhouette cane is certainly worth a dollar or two more than the version without the butterly. :)
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »
Nice weight Rose,got a few myself,can't give you any info'.The butterfly cane is used by John Deacon,did he work for Perthshire in the past?someone will know I'm sure ;D,that was quick KevinH!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:53:41 AM »
John Deacons did work for PP (from 1968 to 1978) before opening his own "Jay Glass" studio. I do not think that his own butterfly cane is the same as the one used in the PP weights.
KevinH

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:38:10 AM »
Wow, That was Quick  :thup:  Thanks KevinH

You guys are *Good*.   

So not too old then, eh?   But I am happy  :chky: as it is my First piece of Scotland Glass    ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:30:51 AM »
In the antique centres this sort of thing is priced at £30-50, perhaps more with the butterfly. Nice one Rose.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
In the antique centres this sort of thing is priced at £30-50, perhaps more with the butterfly. Nice one Rose.

Whew then .......  :phew:

As I had not idea what it might be even worth, or which ones were better.  They were taking offers on it.  So I offered $40 for it.  They asked if I could go up any more on my offer, so I then said $45.  So I got it for that price.  Not really knowing the age, or how to tell what from what.....or if that was even IF that might be too much.   I tried to look around on Ebay to see what prices were...................but then when you do not know much about them, or even held one in your hand.....or what might make them special.....I took a chance and hoped I did not pay too much.

Yes, the butterfly is really nice.  Hard to imagine such perfection can be done with Glass -- It is really amazing. 

So I hope that was a fair (good, decent) price to pay for it.    Of course as anybody hopes  :X:  that they got a really Super Deal, and that I did Ok.  I treaded the waters alone on this and took the gamble...... :X:  It is one thing if one has seen dozens, and seen them in their hands.  But I never seen one myself yet here, or knew if it was special. 

Just gambled on a gut feeling, and took a chance on it .  :girlcheer:  So I guess I did Okay then.   Whew..........

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »
I reckon you paid a fair price. You didn't get a super bargain, nor did you overpay.

Offline Antonia

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:31:40 AM »
For your first Scottish paperweight, I think you did very well. It's quite pretty.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 04:17:23 AM »
For your first Scottish paperweight, I think you did very well. It's quite pretty.

Thanks All  :kissy:  I guess I should say my First Perthshire weight... LOL

Here is a close up of the butterfly... :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand