No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 17th century English free blown footed flask  (Read 3698 times)

Offline glassgull

• Members
17th century English free blown footed flask
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
I just wanted to share a photo of a very early
free blown English footed flask. 17th century. It is the
smaller example on the left.
Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: 17th century English free blown footed flask
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »
Wow, thanks for sharing!

(Sorry, oldglassman Peter - I think these are far lovelier than your glasses  :-[ I like bottles.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
Hi Glassgull
         Interresting bottles , do you have any history,provenance etc to go with this piece that you would be willing to share ?

Sue, lol  each to there own , wouldn't the world be a very boring place if we all like the same things ,

though you might like this 1 .

A Lynn Decanter with moulded rings and very naughty kick up base , c 1750.

cheers,
          Peter.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »
 :24:
I think that's more Michael's cup of vino than mine Peter, but fascinating!
It's all the prunty bits and wiggles on the small flask at the top that I love.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassgull

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
Making a definite attribution to the place of manufacture and date of any piece of early Glass without authentic and accurate documentation would be improper. Even with the case of the footed flask I posted, I should have stressed that my statement of age and origin is a product of research and educated speculation. Several associates who are very well versed in early blown glass have also helped me in making an educated guess or assumption with the determination of origin
and date of manufacture. Other contacts with the Victorian and Albert Museum, Norway's Oslo Museum of Decorative Arts and cross referencing with examples in collections like the Walter Hale collection at Grocers Hall. There have been other similar examples put up in auctions like Bonham's. In the book “The Decanter” you will find another example. During the George Ravenscroft period, examples
with the same form and decoration were made but they typically had a small Ravens head seal attached and a good percentage of the glass suffered from crizzling. This fact has also helped in my theory that the proper lead content with other ingredients helped with the stabilization of the glass in my example which makes me feel my flask was made shortly after the end of the Ravenscroft period. I could actually list other areas of research and contacts but this would take up large
amounts of time and writing. I have other close up photos that show more detail of  the applied foot and decoration. I feel I should have said when posting the flask that through research I feel this footed flask could be 17th century English manufacture .

Greg

Offline glassgull

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
photo

Offline glassgull

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 04:00:31 PM »
photo

Offline glassgull

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »
photo

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 04:18:47 PM »
Peter i love the simplicity of your piece , what more does one want !!! the Kick base really makes it . nice one and Greg remember its the time of year for giving . jp

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 04:19:46 PM »
Hi Greg ,
                 Thanks for that ,its always interresting to hear of other peoples research on items they have , your reference to sealed Ravenscroft examples in this form is new information to me, though I must admit bottles and flasks have not been as major an interrest as the drinking glasses are to me ,the recent Bonhams Items if I remember correctly was in the Hartshorne sale I think ,the same one illustrated in Bickerton ,it has been the opinion of quite few for some time now that many of these flasks and that 1 in particular( I think the low selling prices reflected this thought) are not dated correctly and in fact could well be much later,in the style of 17thc examples,I have heard that Scandinavia was a possible place of manufacture for these later ones , so your contact with Oslo would have been interresting,I must say I am more convinced with your bottle though.

Cheers ,
           Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand