No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ronneby Swan and Other Animals  (Read 7399 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Ronneby Swan and Other Animals
« on: March 08, 2006, 02:32:07 AM »
Hi

As said last week I went out car booting. I bought some lovely ceramics and R Welch Steel – lots of glass as well, paperweights mostly

These were all about £2.00

Glass swan 6” high with label to side and etched to base FH Ronneby Sweden – D 70 – 150. I saw suggested on another site the D was the maker and the numbers the edition size – the label is curious and I don’t know well ‘Genuine Handmade Art Crystal Ronneby Sweden’ with flag and large ‘FIN –Line Studio’ was this a generic label that companies put their name on, or used by Ronneby only.

I don’t think this Reijmyre Squirrel is very old – it has the gold label and a blue one saying ‘Hand Made’ 4” high

This is a Koala Bear glass piggy bank, beautifully moulded in dark cinnamon, 7" high – it has a hand finished slot to top and raised dots to base with a 1.3cm hole (I think that was for a plug) – Interesting that it has a retailers label on ‘Cascade England’ I have seen that two times before both on Holmegaard Gull vases (I know the label for 1960s 70s items) – not saying that it is Holmegaard but it feels imported from Scandinavia.

Any ideas welcome

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 02:36:36 AM »
Hi Adam,

I have to say that of them all, the little koala bear is my favourite. I hope you'll be posting the weights as well.  :wink:
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 02:42:39 AM »
I posted the most interesting a few hours ago on the paperweight thread - a Strathearn P2 Stoer

I think -

Got to get a few guys like Kev on it for a proper attribution, Frank already posted - it is clear glass with a bed of minerals including lots of gold pyrite - very simple but effective.

It could do with a butterfly on top but we can't ask for everything especially at £2.00

Next time  :P  :P

Adam P

Oh - thanks for the Koala compliment - I have posted the size now - 7" - I forgot that in the post :oops:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 07:31:51 AM »
re Marcolin: the D70 is the article number, 15 should be the size and 01 the colour code for clear. The label reads FM - which is Fratelli Marcolin, Benito and Joseph.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:02:28 PM »
Thanks Ivo

I remember thread where Peter gave info
FM konstglas Ronneby - Fratelli (Brothers) Marcolin, Josef and Benito, worked in Sweden for many many years.

It was too late and I was too lazy to search for it last night :wink:

On that post it was suggested the numbers may be an edition size

I will take your information as it is from a good source  - D70 for the item type -  maybe I have a duck and not a swan - it looks like a swan :?   (joking that D means duck)

What do you think of the Koala Bear - do you know 'Cascade' importers/retailers?

Thanks

Adam P

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 01:04:58 PM »
Cascade do not show up in Gazette for 50's or 60's. Could be a trademark rather than compny name.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 01:13:20 PM »
That is true Frank

I say I saw the label on two Holmegaard vases, but they could easily have been like Holmegaard.

I wonder if anyone else has seen the label?  This would be helpful - I have googled the name Cascade Glass many times and come up with nothing.

Puzzling since I have seen the label three times in last year - also it is 'Cascade England' which should broaden the search area away from just Scotland where I am based.

Adam P

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:26:15 PM »
Try searching companies house and trade-marks register. I would guess the label could date to as late as the 80's.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 01:32:25 PM »
Good idea Frank ........

I just found this Holmegaard piggy bank the slot is cut exactly the same as my Koala and the moulding seems similar, it has the Holmegaard label on it.

Maybe Cascade was a shop that Holmegaard supplied goods to?

Taking this into account along with the fact I have seen the 'Cascade' label on two Holmegaard like pieces before ........

link

How many piggy bank shapes did Holmegaard do, anyone know?  

Adam P

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 06:31:56 PM »
Adam - thought you might be interested in seeing this pressed glass piece - also with the Cascade label.  Spotted it locally, and thought it looked very like the Dansk candle holders/bulb vases(?), designed by Quistgaard.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc962.jpg
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand