No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Have you seen a cane like this?  (Read 4313 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Have you seen a cane like this?
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:19:01 AM »

Here are images of a Vasart paperweight with a 3-cane element.

Regarding Kev's question about Roger's weight, I think the base appearance is consistent with a Paul Ysart piece pre-Caithness.  The glass looks to have a dark tinge, so could be Paul Ysart or Ysart Bros, maybe even Vasart.  The canes could be 1930s Ysart - but canes get used well after the date they were made.  The ground is unusual - either an experiment or an error; the missing cane and large bubble in the weight suggest a less careful rather than more careful maker. So I don't know who made it, but if I had to vote I would go for a failed experiment most likely by Paul Ysart.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:22:55 PM »
  Thats a very neat vasart eh.   Gets interesting doesn't it, so its a maybe PY.  We all must be aware of course that one swallow doesn't make a summer, any more than one cane makes a definite attribution. There is an all round reasonable conclusion that must be made, thats why I asked if any of the canes were not PY.  Now take a look at Bernd Horsts site "Weights an things" and look at YSA 01026 for a bit more information on the subject. Thank you Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »

Okay Roger - I give in. How do I find YSA 01026, as the weights are not listed by number, but by description? What has Bernd called it? And is it on the sale page or in the archive?

Incidentally, I have heard it said that Paul Ysart made maybe 70,000 paperweights in his lifetime. I wonder what the figure goes up to if we include the 'maybe' Ysarts? ;)

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »
One of these days I'll learn how to copy and paste URLs on my iPad.   Meanwhile if you bring up Weights and Things website and search for 01026, you'll find a scrambled Paul Ysart with a reversed PY cane.  Is that the weight referred to?

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:40 PM »
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
    Yes, sorry, forgot about the search criteria needing to be in descriptive mood. Its not until you get to the opened weight page then the stock number is there. It is the scramble with PY cane I was refering to. I cant do all these URLs and so on either. Roger (the limited).
  PS/////     And I wonder where they all are, these weights.

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »

Hi Keith

Many thanks - deciphered it. It is all about using a different language (eg Welsh, but in this case not ...Mae'n ddrwg genyf). You need to have just 'url' in the first bracket, and '/url' in the second to make the link function. And getting that information onscreen was a challenge - the intelligent software behind this Board kept turning the previous sentence into a hyperlink when I typed the correct code using square brackets. So you get:

http://www.weights-n-things.com/en/scrambled-with-py-cane.html

You can also use the form 'url='text'/url' (with square brackets rather than apostrophes) to get whatever words you want to shorten the link.

But getting back to the topic....it does have an orange bubbly ground.

Alan

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »
Getting back to this one again ...

Roger, could you please provide individual closeup photos of:
- a couple of examples of each of the two whole canes in the main rings
- whatever is possible for the whole central cane
- a straight-on view of the pontil scar showing all of the stress lines
I would like to be able to see the detail of the individual canes that make up each complex cane as well as more detail of the whole canes themselves.

One problem I have with this weight is the central cane which does not look typically "Ysart" to me. But with a clearer image it might reveal something.

And, on the point of whether any of the canes are specifically Salvador Ysart, Paul Ysart, Vasart etc., that is something which is difficult to assess, with only three canes to look at. The main problem is that it is now known that a number of canes can be found in the work from "both sides" of the Ysart family (i.e. Paul / Salvador-Vasart). This indicates that various canes (similar to the ones in this weight) were most likely made in the pre-war years and even if one or the other Ysarts actually made them, they were used more widely.
KevinH

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 02:32:48 PM »
 Hello again, I've taken more photos and this is about as good as I can get them. Regards Roger. (The amateur photographer)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand