No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: so this is pressed glass? - ID = Sowerby 2481 water jug  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Hel

• Members
so this is pressed glass? - ID = Sowerby 2481 water jug
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »
the jug is about 15 cm  high.

Does this pattern have a name?

Thank you and thanks again

Helga

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: so this is pressed glass?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »
Yes. it's pressed glass. It's a Sowerby 2481 water jug.

Offline Hel

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »
Thank you so much!

Would it glow under UV?

Helga

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:57:23 AM »
Some do, some do. It depends when they were made. Looking at yours, I would say No.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »
if you don't have a u.v. torch, you might try placing it in morning sunshine or perhaps late afternoon fading sunlight.    If it does contain uranium you should get some reaction with a slightly luminous glow  -  not much perhaps, but much more than ordinary green glass would produce.      Of course if you don't have access to sunshine just now, then you must wait until Spring - or buy a u.v. torch :)     Water jugs make a good theme to collect, some are very attractive - the only problem is that they do have a biggish footprint.

Offline Hel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:17:59 PM »
Thanks all.

well, the winter solstice is just 1 week away and right now we have daylight (somewhat) for about 4 hours.

I could take it out at lunchtime when the sun peeks over the horizon...it seems very hard to get UV torches here in Icleand for some reason

thanks again

Helga

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
Another possibility is to use your TV. You´ll need it to show a blue screen - perhaps you´re lucky and it does
automatically (like mine), when no input source e.g. tuner or DVD is turned on or you´re moving somewhere
within the menu... worth a try...  ;)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
sorry Helga - but I think we may have encouraged you to look for uranium in the wrong piece of glass (your jug)..........which as Christine has already indicated, almost certainly doesn't contain any uranium, even though it is green.          For some people (especially Christine) it becomes second nature to be able to recognize quite quickly those pieces which will contain the fairy dust, and those that won't (just by looking at the pc screen).      This jug doesn't look like it is a candidate for uranium, although you can try the non torch suggestions, but it is a good idea to try these ideas for all green glass - because sooner or later you will strike lucky.
I believe you can buy reasonable quality u.v. torches, on line, for something like Sterling £9 - £10, which is quite good value since looked after they will last many years.
Do let us know as soon as you strike lucky, and let us know how good Dirk's tv idea is. 

Offline Hel

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »
haha..dont worry, I took the experts comment seriously and wont go running around outside when the sun peeks out waving a jug over my head.

I have this pressed glass fish plate in green that i tried the blue tv trick and I saw a faint glow..i think.

its this one:

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy324/hisforhome/fish/green_glass.jpg

thanks all!

helga

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:11 PM »
looks as though the fish plate might be a contender  -  has that acidic sort of greenish look.    fingers crossed for you. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand