No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Largest Murano Glass Site in the world - Now relaunched  (Read 1855 times)

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
Largest Murano Glass Site in the world - Now relaunched
« on: December 15, 2011, 10:41:12 AM »
Hi Everyone

We have just revamped our new Murano Glass website which is the largest of its type anywhere in the world.  We would love to see you there!

Merry XMAS to everyone and have a safe and happy New Year

Best wishes

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Largest Murano Glass Site in the world - Now relaunched
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
A really good website... if the visitor happens to be a search engine from 5 years ago.

From the perspective of a visitor who isn't an obsolete keyword algorithm... it'd be a bit of a chore to remember your shop url (even though I looked at it just now, I only remember that it has 'murano', 'glass', 'chandeliers' and maybe 'art' in it, but no idea which order they're in or if they're spaced with '-' or '_'), and then to browse past the obvious keywords in the content made even more obvious by the fact that they're all in bold and repeated on every page (which, these days, would actually get you pushed down in Google search).

I'm not being snarky for the sake of it - these should be genuine concerns. Websites need to be built with the customer in mind.

Edit: It didn't even have chandeliers in the url. Point illustrated, I think.
Edit 2: Your shop name is also different from your url, and is impossible to read on the website anyway, which makes it even more complicated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
HI Pinkyspoons

Thanks very much for your open and honest comments.  I am a relative newcomer to website design / SEO etc so any tips and hints are appreciated.  I was actually told to choose a long hyphenated domain name which for all itents and purpose seems like it was a bit of bad advice.  I am thinking of shortening the domain name and having a 301 redirect done to the old longer name

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:40:31 PM »
Search engine algorithms have advanced quite a lot in recent years, and a lot of the tricks that SEO folk used to advise for are detrimental to your listings now. So jamming keywords into the domain name and repetitively into the content will likely get your site pushed further down the page list because that's precisely how the search engine will read it - as keyword spamming.

I think a fairly good way to go about SEO is to create pages for humans that they might want to link to and share with friends, and for search engines just give your page titles and urls keywords that are directly relevant to the content with the more specific words first and the more repetitive words last.

So say I was selling a Venini vase by Bianconi with a pezzato decoration... my html title would read: <title>Pezzato Vase by Fulvio Bianconi for Venini - My Shop Name Here</title>. The page would, ideally, be given a related url along the lines of pezzato_vase_fulvio_bianconi_venini.html. Each page would have my shop name in the title, so that goes last. I might have 30 Venini items, 10 by Bianconi, and 1 pezzato vase... so placing them in ascending order of frequency over your site tells the search engine that your site is likely to contain unique content. If you have two items more or less the same, give them unique qualifiers - if I had two pezzato vases, one could be big, the other one small, one round, the other square.

If you can make the first large chunk of text on your page related directly to this, and give it a title within the content contained within header tags (<h1>, <h2>, etc) that essentially reiterates the titles you've so far given... then the search engine will likely give your page the thumbs up for being user-friendly.

If you still feel the need to place repetitive keywords on your pages, put them as far down the content as you can.

This is essentially all you need to know about modern SEO - just design it for people.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand