No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opinions sought - what is the best refernece for Perthshire Pwts?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
I only have a few, but would like to seek out more. and want a comprehensive - preferably easy to use - reference.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Opinions sought - what is the best reference for Perthshire Pwts?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »
I guess, most will agree - the "bible" is
The Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights
by
Colin & Debby Mahoney and Gary & Marge McClanahan
Paperweight Press (Selman) 1997
ISBN (Softcover) 0-933756-24-0
ISBN (Hardcover) 0-933756-27-5
As it was published 1997, obviously weights made after 1997 will not be shown. There have been rumours about an expanded edition, until 2002, but I haven't heard anything definite.

The book frequently shows up on ebay - but in my experience you'll find better deals on JustBooks, Alibris or Amazon.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Opinions sought - what is the best refernece for Perthshire Pwts?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

That is the best Pethshire reference book that I know of too.  There is a link to it on the Books list on my website.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Opinions sought - what is the best refernece for Perthshire Pwts?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »
I understand from Gary McClanahan that the second volume of this guide was completed a while ago but the original book was published by L.H. Selman who would have the right to publish the second volume but the new owners of the company were not sure if they wanted to be involved in printing books so the matter was in usupense so all we can do is to hope eventually things get sorted out and the second volume is published but many collectors have the annual leaflets from Perthshire showing the weights made in that year so at least there is some means of indentification.
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand