No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glassmaking for The National Trust's Avebury Manor on the BBC  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Glassmaking for The National Trust's Avebury Manor on the BBC
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:53:06 AM »
Last night, on the final programme about the refurbishment of Avebury Manor, they showed two young ladies making 18th Century style wine goblets for the Manor.   I didn't see them in the credits, and I can't find them on the BBC website.   Who were they?   I would love to watch them working.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Glassmaking for The National Trust's Avebury Manor on the BBC
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »
Bernard,

The below info is from the Dorset Rural Skills website, one of their recent press releases on the subject.

Hope this helps

Greg

www.dorsetruralskills.co.uk/documents/Glasssale2011_000.doc

DCRS Press Release                                           

Glassblowing Filming & Sale

The current BBC One series "To The Manor Reborn" features glass from local Glassblower Emsie Sharp.  During the four-episode show, Avebury Manor is refurbished by a team of historians and craftspeople for which Emsie was commissioned to make 12 hand blown wine glasses.  The programme's host, Paul Martin, came to Emsie's studio at DCRS to film them being made, and this will air later during the Thursday night series.

If you too would like to watch glassblowing in action, Emsie is holding open studio days on Friday 9th & Saturday 10th December from 10m to 4pm where she'll be giving demonstrations.  During the afternoon between 2pm and 4pm children will be have the unique opportunity to blow their own glass bauble for £10.  Emsie's hand blown wine glasses, bowls, vases and Christmas tree baubles will be for sale during the show as well as other artist's work and gifts.

Glass Sale Friday 9th & Saturday 10th December from 10m to 4pm
Children's Bauble Blowing 2pm till 4pm. 

Sharp Glass is based at the Dorset Centre for Rural Skills, Farrington, near Child Okeford, Blandford, DT11 8RA. Telephone 01747 811099 or see www.dorsetruralskills.co.uk for more information.

Ends 

Words:     194

Picture
Caption:     Emsie making wine glasses

Issue Date:     25 November 2011

Contact:     Nicky Mullen, DCRS, West Farm Barn, Farrington, Blandford, Dorset, DT11 8RA

Tel:        01747 811099

Email:      info@dorsetruralskills.co.uk

Mod: image extracted from Press Release, watermarked and added for reference

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »
Greg - Grateful thanks.   An easy and pleasant half hour drive from Moreton (Whistler's windows, 5-star tea rooms with amazing and inexpensive food — best Dorset cream teas in the world), via Bere Regis Spar supermarket (real watercress - take a cool box).
I can't wait!   See you there.  :sun:

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »
For anyone in the UK who didn't catch it, the iPlayer has it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018jpnd/The_Manor_Reborn_Episode_4/?t=3m40s until 9:59pm on Thur 22 Dec 2011.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:02:58 AM »
Greg — Grateful thanks.   An easy and pleasant half hour drive from Moreton (Whistler's windows, 5-star tea rooms with amazing and inexpensive food — best Dorset cream teas in the world), via Bere Regis Spar supermarket (real watercress — take a cool box).   ...

Sad news, I'm afraid.   The Bere Regis Spar supermarket (now a Mace supermarket) no longer supplies proper bunched watercress from the local watercress beds.   On the plus side, they still sell proper bunched watercress if and when the delivery van comes their way, but it comes from the distribution centre at Aylesbury, so could be grown anywhere.   You could also try banging on the door of the Bere Regis watercress packing factory just down the road and asking them for some, but on a recent visit they were obviously shut when I called.

Please let us know your own experiences if you head down to Bere Regis.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand