Author Topic: Pink & white alabastro (?) bird on clear base with concentric circles - Seguso??  (Read 879 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
I am hoping to getting some information on this rather strange looking bird. The colours range from deep pink to milky white. The tail is ridged.  It sits on a clear 'frilly' base with concentric circles underneath.  About 4.5 inches long.

I would love this to be by Seguso but will be happy to be able to ID it any way.  Not the best quality pics I'm afraid - should really have waited until daylight but I'm too impatient!
Nancy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
do I detect some opalescence in the tail Nancy  -  of course it may just be my imagination. :)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
I really don't know Paul.  I'm not clear about what opalescent is!  I know what opals look like, and I wouldn't say that there's anything opal like about the tail.  I'll take some better pics in daylight tomorrow.
Nancy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
you don't need to take more pix to discover the opalescence  -  hold the piece up to strong electric light (or sunlight), and if present then the glass should show the fiery sparkle which is typical of an opal gemstone.        However, I suspect it was only my imagination  -  but I thought the tail had a slight potential to look that way.   

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Aha! So that's how you tell!  Nope, not a hint of opalescence.  Thanks Paul.
Nancy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Looks like fairly standard Murano; that base is common.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Thanks Christine.  Standard as in mass produced?   :cry:
I suppose other Murano companies copied the work and styles of the 'masters', hence the similarities?

The reason I had hoped it was by Seguso was the similarities with this one in 20th Century Glass (which is only 'probably' by Seguso).  Base, colour and eyes all look similar.   http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/murano_glass/archimedeseguso_glass/archimedesegusoglass_home.htm

Oh well, I'm disappointed but at least it's Murano.

Nancy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Standard as in generic. Murano glass is hardly mass produced, as it's handmade. Venice is full of pigeons, therefore lots of pigeon/dove ornaments. I think Wayne is being hopeful; look at the labelled one further up and you will see the difference in quality. Yours might be the same maker as Wayne's unlabelled one but I wouldn't count on Seguso.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
I'm afraid my eye is good enough yet Christine (to be able to see the difference in quality), which is (one of the many reasons) why the GMB is such a fantastic place to learn.  Thanks for your help!
Nancy

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Nancy, I am not sure who makes these animals. I see them sometimes on eBay. I think they are Italian, maybe Murano. I have the feeling they were made in the last 10-20 years. Many of them are pretty, so they are very nice decoration for the home. Not Seguso, I'm afraid. Sorry.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search