No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink & white alabastro (?) bird on clear base with concentric circles - Seguso??  (Read 3664 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
I am hoping to getting some information on this rather strange looking bird. The colours range from deep pink to milky white. The tail is ridged.  It sits on a clear 'frilly' base with concentric circles underneath.  About 4.5 inches long.

I would love this to be by Seguso but will be happy to be able to ID it any way.  Not the best quality pics I'm afraid - should really have waited until daylight but I'm too impatient!
Nancy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
do I detect some opalescence in the tail Nancy  -  of course it may just be my imagination. :)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
I really don't know Paul.  I'm not clear about what opalescent is!  I know what opals look like, and I wouldn't say that there's anything opal like about the tail.  I'll take some better pics in daylight tomorrow.
Nancy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
you don't need to take more pix to discover the opalescence  -  hold the piece up to strong electric light (or sunlight), and if present then the glass should show the fiery sparkle which is typical of an opal gemstone.        However, I suspect it was only my imagination  -  but I thought the tail had a slight potential to look that way.   

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Aha! So that's how you tell!  Nope, not a hint of opalescence.  Thanks Paul.
Nancy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Looks like fairly standard Murano; that base is common.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Thanks Christine.  Standard as in mass produced?   :cry:
I suppose other Murano companies copied the work and styles of the 'masters', hence the similarities?

The reason I had hoped it was by Seguso was the similarities with this one in 20th Century Glass (which is only 'probably' by Seguso).  Base, colour and eyes all look similar.   http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/murano_glass/archimedeseguso_glass/archimedesegusoglass_home.htm

Oh well, I'm disappointed but at least it's Murano.

Nancy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Standard as in generic. Murano glass is hardly mass produced, as it's handmade. Venice is full of pigeons, therefore lots of pigeon/dove ornaments. I think Wayne is being hopeful; look at the labelled one further up and you will see the difference in quality. Yours might be the same maker as Wayne's unlabelled one but I wouldn't count on Seguso.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
I'm afraid my eye is good enough yet Christine (to be able to see the difference in quality), which is (one of the many reasons) why the GMB is such a fantastic place to learn.  Thanks for your help!
Nancy

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Nancy, I am not sure who makes these animals. I see them sometimes on eBay. I think they are Italian, maybe Murano. I have the feeling they were made in the last 10-20 years. Many of them are pretty, so they are very nice decoration for the home. Not Seguso, I'm afraid. Sorry.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand