No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moser or Harrach intaglio vase?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Moser or Harrach intaglio vase?
« on: March 09, 2006, 10:28:29 AM »
I bought this recently, purely because I thought it looked an interesting cut - the vase looked almost bendy!  :shock:   I think it might be Moser or Harrach, but it's not signed.  Does anyone recognise it?   :?:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1190

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1189

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1191

Forgive my dirty thumbnail...I've been printing!   :x
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 11:04:12 AM »
Looks very 'Moser' to me!   :shock:

Now don't tell me you picked it up for a fiver in a local charity shop, or I really am gonna move down there by you!   :roll:  :wink:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
LOL!  No, it wasn't from a charity shop...but it was quite cheap.  I seem to be becoming quite tight-fisted these days.   :P   Probably because I'm skint!  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:31:03 AM »
It does look very Moser

The only point I would mention is this type of vase tended to be oblong with one edge 'partially moulded with a female form - the flowers were then engraved around the moulding.

This is only from looking at a few older and more modern books.

Some say just Bohemian - like the unreliable J Miller 20th C Glass pp172 (this vase is very like yours)

what ever it must be worth a good £100.00 if it checks out as even an unknown Bohemian /Czech maker c1900 - art nouveau is very expensive and there is a lot of wheel engraving and hand finishing in your piece.

Unless you feel the engraving is moulded and then frosted which would make it a modern copy

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 08:56:56 AM »
You'll find various attributions for this type of work, I've seen engraving of this kind by Harrach and by Moser, and by J. Anton Eiselt of Steinschönau - all of very high quality - but I've also seen intaglio pieces from Belgium and Germany of somewhat lesser refinement.  I do not think the quality stands out sufficiently for a confident attribution to any of the big names....

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 09:30:48 AM »
Thanks David and Ivo.

David said:
he only point I would mention is this type of vase tended to be oblong with one edge 'partially moulded with a female form - the flowers were then engraved around the moulding.

I'm not sure about that David, I've Googled and didn't find any vases with a female form and flowers, only vases with flowers rather like mine.   :?

It would be nice if it was worth £100 though.  :wink:  :D

Ivo, I thiiiiiink you might be right.  I had a really good look at it, and although the cutting is very interesting and deep, perhaps there could be more detail.  The other thing I noticed last night (it's sitting by my kitchen sink at the moment) was that the colour isn't great.  It definitely has a yellowy tinge.  I'm not convinced a top quality piece of glass would have that...

Thanks for making me think guys, it certainly helped.   :D  xx
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand