No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Have you seen a cane like this?  (Read 4318 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Have you seen a cane like this?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »
Thanks Roger. Latest photos are good.

At least one of the elements making up the complex cane forming the outer row is definitely "early Ysart" - the pink over white quatrefoil - and is something I have seen most often in several weights that I believe are Ysart Brothers period or perhaps pre-war. I suspect that the whole of that complex cane is an original "early Ysart". And the whole complex cane in the outer row is also likely to be of the same origin.

When I have had a more thorough search for detailed elements, I might be able to say something more specific. But for now, in style and setting both of those canes fit well within the range of so-called Salvador canes - not the best quality ones, nor the worst.

I will not rule out the finding of either of those canes in a Paul Ysart weight, but I think the chances are less likely than in Salvador / Ysart Brothers pieces.

The photos of the central cane show that there is splitting of parts of the cane elements (probably during the making of the weight). However, as a whole cane, it is certainly not one that I immediately recognise.

For me, the base finishing, especially the "cutting in" stress marks, is inconclusive. It's not "obviously" either one of Salvador or Paul.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand