No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do you recognise this Caithness cane?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline petern00

• Members
Do you recognise this Caithness cane?
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
A small number of this lovely weight (Purple Clematis, designed by Colin Terris) was produced by Caithness Glass in 2000 for Antiques Lifestyle magazine. The central cane includes an interesting element - 10 o'clock in the third image. It seems too well defined to be a distortion of the ring cane that appears at the other three quadrants in this part of the design. A signature cane perhaps?  Has anyone seen this previously and have any information about it?  Peter
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline petern00

• Members
Re: Do you recognise this Caithness cane?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
It can be intersting to see an old problem from a new perspective and to put it into words.  As I re-read my own posting, the answer that's evaded me for four weeks is self-evident.  The mystery character is '2' (could it ever have been anything else?!) .... and when combined with three '0's?  ... Oh dear!  ::)  :-[
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:04:04 PM »
Dear Peter,
whilst you have already answered your question yourself, I am still glad you posted it ;).
We do have a few images of this weight in the queue for Scotlandsglass - but your images are better, especially the detail image of the central region: would it be OK if we add your images to the catalogue? Obviously you'll be listed as copyright owner and (if you want) a link to you will be added.
Best regards - Wolf
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:21:31 AM »
Hello Wolf.

You are most welcome to make use any of these images.  Copyright or other attribution isn't necessary; I am happy to have them in the public domain.  A fourth (mid-range) image is attached, should it be of use, and if larger-sized images would serve you better I'm happy to email them to you.

Scotlands Glass is a wonderful site; a fantastic resource for all of us who go looking for information or wonder what something might look like.  Thanks for all the hard work that must have gone into establishing the site, not to mention the ongoing labour of love in maintianing and expanding it.

Warm regards

Peter

Peter

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »
Thank you very much for the permission, Peter, and for offering higher resolution images. I have copied the images from the forum: whilst they are fine for the present settings, higher resolution images might come in handy when/if further image handling may be desirable in the future. Consequently - if you are willing to mail me these images (see icon on the left side), these would be appreciated.
I know - imaging the markings on the base is tricky - but such am image would also be most welcome.
Best regards - Wolf
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:52:13 AM »
Wolf - Here is an additional pic that better shows the colour of the flash overlay and the cut pattern on the lower half of the weight.  Two images of the base are also attached, posted for the sake of other GMB members.  I'll shortly email you the complete set of larger images.  Cheers.  Peter
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand