No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: dating for bulb vases  (Read 317 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
dating for bulb vases
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »
I have one other tall example with a snapped pontil within a concave base which the seller said was mid C19  -  then again I have various others that are of a similar shape, and all with a much more modern mould formed and flat base, and which I have assumed are definitely C20.
These two have a noticeable concave bottom although since the glass is very thick and irregular at the base, it doesn't really show on the inside.     Looks as though there has been some sort of snapped pontil, with no effort to tidy up, but not a very clear outline.     Some undiluted colour streaks showing, and plenty of horizontal striations plus bubbles and other imperfections, with fair amount of wear on the outer edge of the base.    Height is almost 8"/205mm, and although there is a couple of millemetres difference in height, they may well have started life together.
Does this type of pontil indicate late C19, or might they be later or, possibly, even earlier.     Thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand