No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Seahorse Egg Shaped Weight  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Sanborn32

• Members
Caithness Seahorse Egg Shaped Weight
« on: December 21, 2011, 03:43:51 AM »
Can anyone identify this weight? I know its Caithness glass, but have been unable to identify year of manufacture, or if its attributed to a designer.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/Uth_Mondar/Paperweights/litseahorse.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/Uth_Mondar/Paperweights/Seahorsesig.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: Caithness Seahorse Egg Shaped Weight
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »
Sorry - except that it is fairly recent I cannot help. There is one currently for sale on US Ebay, but doesn't show any attribution as to designer. It does say "comes in original cloth bag" which is why I think it is probably less than 10 years old.

Once Santa has been and I can open my new Caithness paperweights book I may be able to help more  ;D

regards

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
There is one currently for sale on US Ebay, ...
Not any longer - did you (Sanborn22) by any chance buy it?
I don't find this weight in my database - I could just miss it, but there is also a fair chance it is an "undocumented" weight, i.e. not showing up in Caithness sales brochures (would not be the first one!).
So the only clue we have got is the hand engraved code - which I am not sure what it says. It is a code for an unlimited edition (which could have been quite small - just not a predefined limit), and these codes always start with a letter (indicating the year of manufacture), followed by a running number for the n-th unlimited weight made this year (which could be from 1 to 6 digits).
First attempt: I314128 - can be ruled out for two reasons: I was not used (as too easy to confuse with 1) and Caithness never made 314128 unlimited weights in a single year (there were a few years with just over 100000)
Second attempt - assuming the first two characters actually are just one, badly written character - what could it be? Could be a B (for 1984 or 2004) or a D (for 1986 or 2006). As was already pointed out - this is more likely a more recent design - so I would go for either 2004 or 2006 as year of manufacture (design could be somewhat earlier).
If you look through ScotlandsGlass you'll find a Dancing Seahorse of 2002, engraved by Willie Bain. Although "your" Seahorse is somewhat different, Willie Bain might be the best bet - so 2004 will be more likely.
I had contacted the seller and requested permission to use his images for ScotlandsGlass - no response (yet): is it OK to use your images of this weight?
Best regards - Wolf
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Sanborn32

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »
I dint buy it on Ebay, i bought it at a local Flea Market about a year ago. I think the first 2 marks look more like a D than B. D14128 i think. I couldnt find a record of it on the caithness site either. By all means you can use the images...or i can take some more of it for you.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
Thank you very much for the permission - and, yes, additional views (preferrably on a white background) would be nice!
If you put them on photobucket as well, I can copy them from there - and others also get a chance to see them right away.
Best regards - Wolf
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Sanborn32

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 02:42:47 AM »
Oh and by the way Scotlands Glass website doesnt work....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand