No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: lot 7 from the Lincoln Collective Sale - 2 PY dragonflies  (Read 1821 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
lot 7 from the Lincoln Collective Sale - 2 PY dragonflies
« on: December 20, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
Evening all.  Wondering if people think the pair of PY dragonfly weights at goldings, lot 7, are fakes or real?  The PY canes have different colour letters, which I though meant they were fake?

cheers
Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

• Members
Re: lot 7 from the Lincoln Collective Sale - 2 PY dragonflies
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
Nive site Kev :)

http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/fake-py/fake-py-weights.htm

Pretty obvious....

had this reply from the auction house "Thank you for your e-mail. We are assured by the vendor that these weights were gifted to them in 1985 so the 2000 date would not be applicable."

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:47:50 PM »
Seems that there were several such weights made with the same dragonfly - green aventurine body, three yellow body spots, red eyes, blue-white cane wings. Garland canes can differ.

But interesting to see what appears to be a true pair ... something that, apart from some of the "IEA" weights and perhaps a couple of specials, Paul Ysart was not known to do.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:40:56 AM »

I asked for close-up images of the signature canes, and they look to me like 'dropped Y' versions. So I know what I think, and shall not be bidding. But I would not be surprised to see them sell for silly money, and then appear for sale elsewhere at outrageous prices.....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »
Just in case it is of any interest, I have a copy of each of the two types of fake PY paperweights and thought I would post a close up picture of the canes. The type 1 weight with the dropped Y first appeared in 1988 and the second batch where the letters are spaced in 1992
Dave

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
Oops - somehow posted two identical pictures so here if the correct verion of the type 1 fake
Dave

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
Fair play to Goldings, this is the description on the live auction...

NEW CATALOGUE DESCRIPTIONTwo PaperweightsPre sale opinions are divided.  Apparently there are well known reproductions made in the early 1900s.  These were gifted to our client in 1985.  The new description allows knowledge to buyer to make their own mind up and bid according to their experience.  Your attention is drawn to conditions of sale 15 regarding forgeries.

Sold for £240 this morning, which is about right for the fakes I would of though.....

Ian

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »

Hi Ian

I listened to it as well. I don't think I have ever heard an auctioneer do quite so much to draw the bidders' attention to the advice and comments he had clearly received before the auction - so well done to all.  I reckon that £150 or so is a market price for the fakes, so £240 plus commission for two is about right.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand