No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pedestal paperweight damaged curious to know what it is though please  (Read 11991 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Pedestal paperweight damaged curious to know what it is though please
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »
My translation isn't good, but from what I can find so far the first glass house opened in Vierzon in 1861.
Opened by les frères Richer.

There was more than one glass house over time from what I have found, possibly four over the years( but as I say my translation isn't good).
It looks as though the last closed in 1951 but I have found mention of a Society of glass makers there that closed in 1957.

All info open to future correction, but thought I'd add something as there is not much mention on the board.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »
I came across this quite by accident.
I don't suppose Vierzon might be  possibility for the maker of my pedestal might it?
http://webmuseo.com/ws/musee-vierzon/app/collection/record/30?expo=5&index=17
m
A problem with weights / ornaments of this design is that unless we can find an example to match the size and colour of the "splatter / blobs" and also the use of a colour (such as white) of "spatter / blobs" for a particular layer, then it is hard to say that we could prove (or even suggest) an attrbution. The same is true of the stems and feet - without true matching examples beyond simply having, say, a baluster stem, then a possible attribution is on unsafe ground. We may even have to go as far as trying to match the thickness of the "stems / arms" below the air bubbles!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »
Yes, all understood Kev :)
I just thought it might be useful to 'log' the area as a possibility for some of the pedestal weights, for future reference really if nothing else.

m

Offline Tin_tin

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Belgium
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 09:04:31 PM »
Hello
I noticed your question today on the internet and wanted to leave you a reply, so i registered quickly.
I guess your paperweight, also called porte-perruque (witch isn't really a wig stand), is from Belgium origin.  I have a few of them in my collection similar to yours and they come from Verrerie Herbatte near the city Namur or Namen in south belgium.  Occasionaly they can be found for sale, and even rarer they come as a pair.  If they are not marked, it almost isn't possible to find the exact maker. Often the come with the pontil- or gadget mark on top, and underneath the foot as a Y or T.  They date from around 1900.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »
Tin tin thank you for taking the time to reply and thank you for giving another maker to search.  It's always interesting to come across something new and have a name to search for information :)
It seems Belgium is the preferred option so far then.

And apologies Christine, my new email system isn't giving me alerts I can click into when there are new replies so I hadn't realised you'd posted links.  Thank you :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 10:15:09 PM »
I have found a few of these attributed to Herbatte but none appear to be the same shape as mine - they seem to be a little rounder rather than pear shaped.  There are similarities in the internal fountain design but not really the same although I appreciate there will be differences to that design anyway.
m

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »
Hi everybody,

I would like to draw your attention to a glass making company that was documented as occasional paperweight maker  a couple of years ago.
I also include some literature details, the books are in German and French. Unfortunately the only Internet source telling a bit about the Fenne weights was shut down recently, so "kulturpixel" by Bernd Ingo Friedrich has been lost...

There are some similarities to your weight/pedestal with the weights and pedestals made by Fenne in the Sarre Region, (around 1900-1930ies?) at the German/French Border. 

The newest literature shows several illustrations of weights (p.105 fff.): 200 Jahre Fenner Glashütte. Edited by: Peter Nest für den Heimatkundlichen Verein Warndt e.V. Saarbrücken-Völklingen 2014. ISBN 3-9809990-9-2 

http://www.heimatkundlicher-verein-warndt.eu/

Kind regards, Erhard
EJM

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 12:41:01 PM »
Unfortunately the only Internet source telling a bit about the Fenne weights was shut down recently, so "kulturpixel" by Bernd Ingo Friedrich has been lost...
At least the texts can still be read under http://web.archive.org/web/20150503084423/http://briefbeschwerer.kulturpixel.de/, although for many pages the images have not been archived.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
oh that was a lovely site - how awful to have lost that information.

Erhard thank you very much for helping me with information. 
I'm hopeful that one day this will be positively identified.  It was beautifully made.

m

Offline Wyman

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »
Thanks all for the discussions in this thread.  I have recently come across a pair of pedestal weights that bear close resemblance to some of the ones discussed here.  Thought some of you may be interested in taking a look and offering your opinions:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62133.new.html#new

[Mod: Please make all responses about Wyman's items in the new thread linked to above. A moderator can merge the threads later if needed.]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand