No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline Perfume Bottles + floral stoppers - ID= Veuve G. Marquot & Fils  (Read 3874 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I am curious if anyone has ever seen these before.  It is not the usual kind of glass I buy, but they were so unusual I had to pick them up. I picked them up in a mall today. The tag on them stated they were purchased at a Paris Flea Market. I have never seen anything quite like them before. I was going to take a black light image, but they glow without black light!  The set of three range in height from 3.5 inches to 5 inches. The stoppers range in diameter from 1.875 to 2.250 inches. The stoppers are done in what appears to be a baked on enamel finish and not just painted.  

The underside of a couple of the bottles have pencil number remnants and 1 stopper has a pencil number remnant, so I am sure they were ground to match a bottle and numbered. Short stoppers without daubers, and originally made that way.

The neck of the tallest one has some fractures - unfortunately - I usually do not buy cracked glass, but I could not resist these......

Age wise I would guess at the 1920's, at least that is how they feel to me....

TIA for any input.....

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Unusual Perfume Bottle Set - Vaseline glass with floral stoppers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 06:13:33 AM »
Never seen anything like them  :mrgreen: Age sounds about right though

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
Feeling a deja -vu... 
May we see a picture of the base, please?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »
Here is a pic of the base of one with the pencil I was referring to......

Christine, I knew you would be the first to comment on them.  The second I saw them I actually thought of you!!

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:37:27 PM »
"déjà vue" et retrouvée  :sm:

Craig, these bottles were made in many different colours by
Verreries Veuve G. Marquot & Fils, Bayel - Fains /  :fr: 1927/1928 'moulé MARGUERITE'
They came in five sizes and are part of a comprehensive vanity set.
The MARGUERITE pattern was produced in their Fains works, that uranium colour was named 'dichroique' 

:rah:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Well done Pamela  :clap: :clap:

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
Here's a quick shot of that catalogue page 5 and one additionally of POMPADOUR pattern, which might interest you as well for its shape and 'jaspis' colour  :angel:
Pamela

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Great info... Thanks......  Are they common? uncommon? 

Craig

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
 :chky: it's nice to see you back, Craig  :kissy:

my déjà vu referred to the pattern book as above, same as Christine I've never seen a single item of that range in the flesh. Therefore uncommon here, I'd say, however can't speak for the French market  :nogos:
Pamela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand