No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Deacons' lampwork?  (Read 8259 times)

Offline tootingpf

• Members
John Deacons' lampwork?
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
Hi all,

I've just received this paperweight (Christmas and all that) and lovely it is too.  The signature cane in the base reads, 'JD 1994' so I'm pretty certain it's John Deacons!

The question is, 'Any idea who might have done the lampwork?'  I'm under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong!) that John rarely does the lampwork, so I wondered who might have done the flower?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Graham

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: John Deacon's lampwork?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
Great question Graham  :thup:

I too have a nice JD lampwork pwt with two canes set in the base.  One has J 1980 and the other an A as the centre of a millefiore cane.  It will be interesting to see what your query brings up from those more experienced and expert than us.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: John Deacon's lampwork?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:53:39 PM »
ross your weight .. the A is Allan scott who did most of the lampwork for John in the J glass days
cheers Ray

Offline Roger H

• Members
Re: John Deacons' lampwork?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:28:36 AM »
   HI , can see the alan talent in the JD and A cane weight but I would have thought that Johns 94 weight had his own lampwork in it. This is just something I have always thought so it will be interesting when somebody throws some definite light on the subject. Roger.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »
Over the years John Deacons has used lampwork by several artists in his paperweights and these include Alan Scott, Duncan Smith, Willie Manson and Rosette Fleming but he also makes his own lampwork as has been stated.
With regard to your weight Ross I think this a J Glass piece with Alan Scotts lampwork and A signature cane but the lampwork in yours Graham is by a different maker and I would suggest Rosette. I am attaching a picture of an encased double overlay from 1996 with her lampwork in for comparaion but maybe someone else has another suggestion ?
Dave

Offline tootingpf

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:53:02 AM »
Many thanks Dave!  That looks spot on!   :thup: The style of the petals, leaves, and centre cane, all look pretty identical - so it looks like Rosette is the one.

Haven't really been aware of her stuff, but will look out for it now!

Thanks again!

Graham

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
Rosette Fleming learned her skills working with Allan Scott at Caithness, she designed many paperweights for the company and after leaving she worked freelance but then had several children and no longer makes lampwork at the moment. She made weights for the Scottish Glass Society Exhibitions but her work is hard to find but here is one of her weights I got from her
Dave

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
That is gorgeous Dave, I just love the tortoise!
JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:39:48 PM »
Thanks so much for that information Dave (and the beautiful weights you have shown us).  The second on with the tortoise makews me think that my other JD lampworks weight may have been made by her as well - I would value your opinion.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »
Hi Ross,

I don't think that Rosette Fleming could have done the lampwork on your plum weight as it is a J glass weight. She was trained by Allan when he was at Caithness, i.e. some time later (J glass closed in 1983 and Allan found employment with Caithness but did not make any lampwork for another year). I understand that Rosette did lampwork for John Deacons studio since leaving Caithness but I am not sure when this happened exactly.

SophieB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand