No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Deacons' lampwork?  (Read 8257 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: John Deacons' lampwork?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
For anyone interested in this sort of information on Caithness, the designers and their paperweights, I can only recommend you treat yourself to a copy of Andy Nowson's "Encyclopedia".

Rosette Fleming joined Caithness in 1983; her first design (4 "Four Seasons" weights) was issued in 1996, her last designs in 1999. Soon later she joined John Deacons - and worked with him until 2002.

This would not support that Graham's weight, signed 'JD 1994', would be her lampwork, however - unless she worked also for him whilst at Caithness.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »
 Hello, a JD beauty with 2003 date cane, but who made the flower? Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 08:29:53 PM »
   I have had a look through my previously owned JD weights and see a theme of the leaves being made by John perhaps and the flower heads by himself and several other artists, Alan Scott, Rosette fleming, Willie manson, etc. The leaves on Grahams weight look the same maker as mine and they are 9 years apart. More input by somebody who knows would be very interesting. Roger.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »
Since Allan Scott trained Rosette at Caithness, their work would necessarily look similar, wouldn't it? 

I believe Allan has gone back to doing some work with John Deacons again since leaving Caithness, which IMHO is *A Good Thing*   ;D :hiclp:

Allan does occasionally read and post here, so perhaps he will see this thread and help us out  :)
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
Just my tuppence worth, but why should a weight be described as "JD" if somebody such as Allan or Rosette did the lampwork?
Surely in these cases, the artist mentioned should be the lampworker, not the technician who finished them off with a bit of casing.

grrrr!  :grrr: at artists not being properly attributed (and others taking the credit, :grrr: :grrr: ) - especially those of Allan's and Rosette's calibre!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tootingpf

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
I agree that I'd like to see more attributions in the, 'branding' of weights but, to be fair to JD, it's part of a long tradition.  Almost all, 'classic period' weights are attributed to factories not individuals.  Since then, the trend has continued: Harland, Caithness, Selkirk, Perthshire, have all produced weights where the individual artist cannot (easily) be identified.  If it's John's studio then the output is his I guess.

Hee hee!  Having tried my hand at paperweight making I'd have to say it takes more than a, 'technician' to pick up and encase the lampwork.  I found the lampworking (relatively!!!!) easier (droopy, L-shaped, paperweight anybody?).  I'm quite happy to buy collaborative pieces.  I'd have to say JD is, IMHO, one of the finest workers of hot glass (quintuple/encased overlay....?) and I think it only improves the quality and beauty of the weight to let somebody who is at the top of the game in lampworking (Allan...) do what they do best.

But would still like to see all contributions attributed.

Anybody know what the, 'rules' are for getting your cane in a paperweight?  Sometimes individual canes appear in Caithness weights (e.g. Willie Manson), Selkirk weights (e.g. Peter Holmes) and JD (e.g. Allan Scott).  Sometimes the maker appears on the certificate.  But not always.

Still, all adds to the fun I suppose!

Graham

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »
I'm more impressed by Allan than JD.  >:D

(personal thing, I suppose)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tootingpf

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »

One of my favourite paperweights, currently, is a JD magnum closepack (sorry, no pic to hand!) - but now I expect somebody will tell me he doesn't make his own canes either....

Offline tootingpf

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
Allan's lampwork is among my favourites though....

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 04:00:17 PM »
Hi All, I am fairly certain that the flower in the single overlay is not Rosettes as she was still doing work for Caithness then, also it is not as delicate work as she is capable of. I doubt if it was Duncan Smith either as he was still working for Perthshire at the time. I would guess it was either W.Manson or maybe one of the assistants at Perthshire working on the side. The Plum weight is one I have not seen for a long time, all the Jay Glass lampwork was done by myself.
       Allan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand