No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Deacons' lampwork?  (Read 8251 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: John Deacons' lampwork?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
 :smg:

That's really great to know Allan - thanks for popping in to sort this out.
I shall be spreading the word.  >:D
Hope you have a great new year!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tootingpf

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
Many thanks also Allan - I shall go back and have another look  :usd: at my Jay-glass pansy....

Regards,

Graham

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »
   Horses for courses. I am in no doubt that JD is one of the best at picking up, forming, cane work and overlaying but seems to be wise enough to engage torch workers to add that something special in some of his weights, it also gives the torch workers income.                 Whether their canes are included in the weights is up to their personal agreement with John, but yes it would be nice for more clarification.
   For instance I have a beautiful 2005 pansy in a weight that is marvelously formed by John but I could only guess the pansy is made by ?????????
     Regards Roger. 

Offline tootingpf

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
Wow,  that is a beauty Roger.  Amethyst flash overlay?  I'm a big fan of flash overlays for some reason...  And one of the many themes I collect is pansies (and anything else that looks nice).

Hmmm. The pansy has a slightly Willie Mansonish look to it (trademark blobs on the petals), but the leaves don't.  So, no idea!

Right, can somebody (not me as I'm mystified by the whole business) please write a book including a section about who did what bits of which paperweights when?  I'd buy a copy....

Graham

PS  I'm also with you on the notion of everybody doing what they do best.  Makes for superb weights.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »
Thanks so much Allan for that information re the plums weight.  Until this topic came up I did not realise that in the back of my mind I wondered who had made the lampwork.  The blue flower was obviously someone elses work in combination - and now I know it was you, but the plums offered no clue I was aware of.

Ross

PS.  Happy New Year to all.  :chky: :hiclp: :rah:  :ho: :ho:
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »
Just my tuppence worth, but why should a weight be described as "JD" if somebody such as Allan or Rosette did the lampwork?
Surely in these cases, the artist mentioned should be the lampworker, not the technician who finished them off with a bit of casing.

Really now, do you think it's so simple as "a bit of casing"!?  I can tell you that in many ways the encasement and shaping process is far more likely to ruin a paperweight than you seem to think.  Additionally if you work for another artist and or studio then your pay is what you get.  David Graeber worked for Paul Stankard for many years before he was GIVEN credit.  Same for Tiffany or Chilhuly or the guys and gals that built your car.  Producing paperweights in any significant quantity is a business that requires many hands.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
Hi Leni
That is a fair comment you have made but I guess the problem is that the likes of Allan Scott, Linda Campbell, Rosette Fleming and Duncan Smith are excellent craftsmen and can make superb lampwork but none of them can encase it and produce a paperweight. Therefore, all they can do is to make lampwork and sell it to people like John who can then turn it into paperweights. The ideal solution would be for lampworkers for fix their signature cane to the back of each piece they make and then the person who makes the weight to incluide their can too but in reality this does not happen.
Attached is a picture of a JD paperweight containing a lampwork shire hore made by Duncan Smith
Dave

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
I think it was Sue's comment you are answering, not mine, Dave  :) 

I believe John Deacons does now include the ID canes of the lampworkers who work with him in his paperweights.  It's just the early ones we are still uncertain about.  Thank you, Allan for your assistance in helping to identify your work  :thup:
Leni

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
Allan is quite capable of encasing weights. I'd buy more JD weights if he Did have the collaborators signature cane in them.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
 :hiclp:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia